permanent removal of heating and defrost system

permanent removal of heating and defrost system

EODBuddyLee

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 w/ AMC 304, 3 speed T150
I am in the near future going to replace/upgrade a couple of gauges. While doing some research as to the best way of removing the dash to replace these gauges, I started thinking about my heating and defrost system. As of right now it doesn't work and the control rods are bent and sticking out unevenly. I have the luxury of living in Hawaii and don't have a need for these components.

So my question is, what are the pros and cons if I just removed all these components while I have the dash off?

Cheers

You are lucky enough to have a 35 year old classic car. If it was an early muscle car would you strip it down? Do people in Arizona really need wipers?? I would be looking for parts for the heater.

I am in the near future going to replace/upgrade a couple of gauges. While doing some research as to the best way of removing the dash to replace these gauges, I started thinking about my heating and defrost system. As of right now it doesn't work and the control rods are bent and sticking out unevenly. I have the luxury of living in Hawaii and don't have a need for these components.

So my question is, what are the pros and cons if I just removed all these components while I have the dash off?

Cheers

Will you be staying in Hawaii for the rest of your life, or are you there for a short stint and thinking about bringing your CJ home when your done?

I ditched my heater years ago, since all it did was collect dust, and the CJ has no carpeting, so it stays a little warmer with engine heat. Under the hood,for my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , the heater hoses had to be rerouted to keep the intake manifold cool. I see you have the AMC 304 , so I am not sure how that may apply to you. All my heater/defrost vents and empty holes have been covered up. Sometimes I do miss the defrost feature and I have to use a rag to keep the windshield clean, but that is rare. I also removed the cross member under the steering wheel on the dash, but had to resupport it. I could probably get you a pic later if you want it. It makes for future removal of the dash a lot easier.

The plans are to stay in Hawaii for a good while, if we move back to the mainland then it would be back to South Florida in the keys. This is also a second vehicle for me, so I'm thinking that instead of repairing something I will not use to just remove the broken parts and spend the money on other items on this rebuild.

How about a need for the defroster on wet rainy days?

Never been to Hawaii so I can only imagine.

Really aren't too hard to get functional. Pics would help for a better evaluation.

:D

After many harsh winters at ft.drum ny we moved to south west fla. where I removed my heat/defrost,shortly thereafter I put it back in. The condensation on cool mornings and the heat from the motor was not a good combo ,interior fog no good

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom