permanent removal of heating and defrost system

permanent removal of heating and defrost system

EODBuddyLee

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 w/ AMC 304, 3 speed T150
I am in the near future going to replace/upgrade a couple of gauges. While doing some research as to the best way of removing the dash to replace these gauges, I started thinking about my heating and defrost system. As of right now it doesn't work and the control rods are bent and sticking out unevenly. I have the luxury of living in Hawaii and don't have a need for these components.

So my question is, what are the pros and cons if I just removed all these components while I have the dash off?

Cheers

You are lucky enough to have a 35 year old classic car. If it was an early muscle car would you strip it down? Do people in Arizona really need wipers?? I would be looking for parts for the heater.

I am in the near future going to replace/upgrade a couple of gauges. While doing some research as to the best way of removing the dash to replace these gauges, I started thinking about my heating and defrost system. As of right now it doesn't work and the control rods are bent and sticking out unevenly. I have the luxury of living in Hawaii and don't have a need for these components.

So my question is, what are the pros and cons if I just removed all these components while I have the dash off?

Cheers

Will you be staying in Hawaii for the rest of your life, or are you there for a short stint and thinking about bringing your CJ home when your done?

I ditched my heater years ago, since all it did was collect dust, and the CJ has no carpeting, so it stays a little warmer with engine heat. Under the hood,for my 258, the heater hoses had to be rerouted to keep the intake manifold cool. I see you have the 304, so I am not sure how that may apply to you. All my heater/defrost vents and empty holes have been covered up. Sometimes I do miss the defrost feature and I have to use a rag to keep the windshield clean, but that is rare. I also removed the cross member under the steering wheel on the dash, but had to resupport it. I could probably get you a pic later if you want it. It makes for future removal of the dash a lot easier.

The plans are to stay in Hawaii for a good while, if we move back to the mainland then it would be back to South Florida in the keys. This is also a second vehicle for me, so I'm thinking that instead of repairing something I will not use to just remove the broken parts and spend the money on other items on this rebuild.

How about a need for the defroster on wet rainy days?

Never been to Hawaii so I can only imagine.

Really aren't too hard to get functional. Pics would help for a better evaluation.

:D

After many harsh winters at ft.drum ny we moved to south west fla. where I removed my heat/defrost,shortly thereafter I put it back in. The condensation on cool mornings and the heat from the motor was not a good combo ,interior fog no good

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks