Poppin fool

Poppin fool

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
Downshifting causes gurgling and popping. The exhaust has a strong fuel odor. The carb looks to be pretty original 2b with electric choke. Is there a mix screw??? Also, has anyone taken their jeeps to a muffler shop to have a system installed?

There should be two adjustment screws on the front of carb. I had a local muffler shop put dual exhaust on my jeep, with magna flow mufflers and areo tips.

Depending on what carb you have, the adjusting screws could also be on each side of carb. Look for screws with a spring on them down low on carb.
Also look for vacuum leak for popping and rich fuel smell at carb base and intake manifold gaskets.

There are two screws in front on the l passenger side and right drivers side. Which are what? I havnt even thought of a vacuum leak! Thanks!

They are both idle mixture screws, one for each barrel. A good starting point, is to turn them both in all the way and back out 2 1/2 full turns. Then adjust in or out to get smooth idle.

I also thought if you think it's over fueling, then you need to rejet the carb and/or the metering rods. Sounds more like vacuum leaks.

I'm thinking leaks as well. Carb vacuums, pb booster vacuum and vacuum at dizzy. Am I missing something?

Carb to intake manifold and possibly intake manifold to heads.

Leaning it out did not help. Replacing carb gasket tomorrow to try to see if I can solve this.

What if I puffed carb cleaner at suspect vac leaks and see if engine revs a bit. The vac leak would suck in the cleaner andmake engine rev a bit. Would this work?

What if I puffed carb cleaner at suspect vac leaks and see if engine revs a bit. The vac leak would suck in the cleaner andmake engine rev a bit. Would this work?
Yes this will work, just watch out for hot spots like exhaust manifold, and I've heard on this form to watch out for disturbutor area I guess someone had spark issues and caused a fire. Keep a fire exstinguster on hand just in case. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom