por 15

por 15

sasquatch

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7, 304, T150,
Just starting from ground up on my 76 CJ7 . Just bought a throttle down frame and want to paint it to keep protected. I read somewhere about using POR 15 for the chassis. Anyone have any experience using it? From what I read, it is not for use on new material. Any thoughts?

just did an advanced search and found a lot of info.

Last edited:
This is way too creepy. :eek:

Should we all just use the same ID then?

This is way too creepy. :eek:

lol thats awesome :chug: I have used POR 15 and the stuff is awesome, it does not like air and will dry in the bottle once opened but I have some metal(rusted) I coatd over 10 years ago and its still not rusting :chug:

Can I be Sassquach?

I have POR 15 on my CJ5 frame since 2000 and it is still rust free. I am also putting it on and in my current Scrambler restomod project.

good to know about the POR 15 im looking at getting some when i start to rebuild my tub.

i thought of using por 15 on the inside and outside of the replacement sheetmetal i will be using on my CJ7 , sort of like a undercoat. any issues there i should know about. everybody seems to rave about it

I am currently assembling my 76'frame up resto. I decided to use por 15. It is rather pricey compared to other systems out there. You should keep to utilizing the reducer metal ready and degreaser. Additionally when using as a frame coating Por reccomends using chassis coat black. Straight up Por 15 will turn grayish after some exposure.
This stuff when cured wears like iron. But I did like 8 spray on coats inside and out on my frame. And yes this stuff must be used when opened , so buy it in multiple small cans, unless you are planning on doing a bunch of painting at once. I tried new bottles and cans with no success for keeping this stuff for more than a day or two,once opened. It takes less than a quart to get a coat on a frame inside and out. An undercoating gun with hoses will do the whole job easily. Remember what I said about using Pors reducer, it will be needed to clean up, and you gotta thin this stuff down not get it to spray well. Do it outdoors with a respirator. You will never clean this stuff off when it sets up unless wire brushes are used.

I also have used POR-15 with great results.The frame was fresh from the sandblaster and after making repairs(cracks,boxing,etc. I coated with flat black por 15 with brush. After it dried I top coated with POR chassis black.So far no problems and the stuff is tuff.I had a brake fluid leak and it took off the chassis black ,but didn't touch the por-15.A tip on using out of can is to punch a small hole in lid and pour out amount needed then seal with screw and rubber washer. The screw and washer were from por-15 rep.good service also.

mike

Last edited:
A tip on using out of can is to punch a small hole in lid and pour out amount needed then seal with screw and rubber washer. The screw and washer were from por-15 rep.good service also.
mike

:notworthy: Great idea mstar. Two other tips about POR15 given to me by a WESCO Paint store manager.

1) After opening and using some paint (a little goes a long way) store the unused POR15 in the freezer. Upon re-using, pull the paint out of the freezer and let thaw for 30-minutes.

2) The second tip he gave me is negated by mstar's tip. The paint store manager told me to never allow POR15 to drip on the paint can's seal around the lid because it will basically weld it shut. I am going to use the hole in the lid tip sealed with a screw.

Good luck, POR15 is the BEST!!

A tip on using out of can is to punch a small hole in lid and pour out amount needed then seal with screw and rubber washer. The screw and washer were from por-15 rep.good service also.
mike

:notworthy: Great idea mstar. Two other tips about POR15 given to me by a WESCO Paint store manager.

1) After opening and using some paint (a little goes a long way) store the unused POR15 in the freezer. Upon re-using, pull the paint out of the freezer and let thaw for 30-minutes.

2) The second tip he gave me is negated by mstar's tip. The paint store manager told me to never allow POR15 to drip on the paint can's seal around the lid because it will basically weld it shut. I am going to use the hole in the lid tip sealed with a screw.

Good luck, POR15 is the BEST!!

What you want to purchase is Master Series. Do not waste your money on POR. Master Series will not fail and it can be used on metal of any condition, unlike POR in both respects. Without getting into everything here, just Google it. YOu will find it is far superior, is the right material to put down first.

Never heard of "Master Series", but have read plenty of positive testimony about POR, which convinced me to use it. And it can be used on ANY metal surface condition. You just need to prep it in a different manor.

I cut a square out of a Walmart bag and I lay that over the can before putting the lid on. I keeps the lid from being "welded" fast, but I also scoop the paint out with small measuring spoons (like you use in a kitchen) so I don't spill any on the rim. I also store it in the refrig. and not the freezer. I've opened that same can 4 times since September and it's still good. Freezing, just like boiling can change the chemical makeup of some things so I don't know that I'd go to that extreme. Plus freezing could induce water, which will ruin the paint unless it's in the curing stage.

I used POR 15 on my CJ5 frame in 2001 and it is still in excellent condition. I also used the POR15 chevy orange engine paint on my small block and it still looks great when I clean it up. I did it by the book with their degreaser and metal prep coating. I like it so much that I bought more for my CJ8 project and bought the chassis black coating as well. It does a fade a funky grey haze from sun light. also I got a year of life out of my gallon can by resealing it with a garbage bage in betweenthe lid and can. This time I bought quarts to save the grief.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom