power steering box swap advice

power steering box swap advice

hotrodelrod

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ7 350sbc
Hey all. I have a 77 CJ7 on 35s with manual steering. The box itself is very sloppy and i would like to switch to power steering. The motor is a 350 sbc and I have a chevy saginaw power steering pump/pulleys/brackets from other projects. I have also read the link on here refering to this swap. My question is what ps box do you all recommend? Any thoughts on the AGR Performance box # AGR-262317 at about $400? Oh, street with some light trail use.

Thanks in advance to any help or advice!
:chug:
Rick in VA.

that seems a little overkill to me. i would look for a box from a camaro mabye 79 or 80 in the quick ratio form.

that seems a little overkill to me. i would look for a box from a camaro mabye 79 or 80 in the quick ratio form.

Thanks for your reply. I did some searching on here and what a great resource. I agree and will find a more affordable box. Also enjoyed a great read on tie rod flop which I think will help me too. I have a fair amount of lift (4+2) and a drop pitman arm to get rid of (as I bought it) Think im on the right track now.

I've read that the Hummer H1 1996-2004 variable rate box is a direct bolt on for a cj. Haven't tryed it myself so I'm not sure the lines will be the same as the chvy. pump.

a Wagoneer PS box is a direct bolt in as well, (depending on the year for the style lines each has), and its a variable ratio as well...

I've read that the Hummer H1 1996-2004 variable rate box is a direct bolt on for a cj. Haven't tryed it myself so I'm not sure the lines will be the same as the chvy. pump.

Thanks Old Dog! I just found this info on another Jeep forum. Probably what I will go with. Then I just need to get lines from old GM type pump to this unit.

Hot Rod,

First of all you need to check the current mounts on your existing box. Is it 3 bolts or 4?
AMC / Jeep was using the Saginaw 800 series Power steering gears for years. They were on most large GM vehicles from about the late 60 's through the late 1980's. Easy way to tell this box is that it has 4 mounting bolts and a large 76 cast in the body. In there stock form they are not a variable ratio. They are larger than your manual box and some will bolt up to a 3 bolt mount if that's what you have. Being that it is longer in length your steering shaft from the steering wheel will have to be shortened and also the Pittman Arm will have to be replaced as they have different shaft sizes and ratios. You should be able to find the correct Pittman Arm off another CJ of the same year with power.
You want a variable ratio gear box about 16:1 and not a fast ratio. CJ's are short and quick steering is not what you want.
I would not mess with anything but an aftermarket rebuilt gear box from a respectable vendor. You get the right thing the first time and it's guaranteed. If you want some suggestions for vendors let me know.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks