Power steering pump issue

Power steering pump issue

jeepboy45

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7, Newly rebuilt AMC 360!, fully rebuilt GM TH400, Quadra-trac TC w/Milemarker 2x4 conversion, AMC mod 20 rear w/1 piece Moser axleshafts, mod 30 front w/tie rod flip and castor correction shims, 4 in lift, Centech complete wiring harness, dual electric fans on 3 core aluminum radiator, tilt steering wheel, 20 gal poly gas tank, new J20 steering box, MSD 6A ignition combined with TeamRush distributor mods
What would cause a power steering pump to "boil over" and the fluid to become enriched with bubbles?

It was perfect in March when I last drove it.
I changed a semi-kinked high-pressure hose last week. Today was the first day it has been started since march. After a few minutes it sounded "funny" and fluid ran out of the cap. At first I thought a bearing was going bad, but that doesnt explain the fluid.

I took off the belt and the pulley seems to spin freely.

What would cause a power steering pump to "boil over" and the fluid to become enriched with bubbles?

It was perfect in March when I last drove it.
I changed a semi-kinked high-pressure hose last week. Today was the first day it has been started since march. After a few minutes it sounded "funny" and fluid ran out of the cap. At first I thought a bearing was going bad, but that doesnt explain the fluid.

I took off the belt and the pulley seems to spin freely.

:)JEEPbOY,

Sounds like you got a bunch of air in the system when you made that hose change.............the air is cavatating in the pump system................normally they are self venting and will get the air out by running.
It's now artificially over full as the specific gravity of the air is lighter than the oil and takes up more space.............take some fluid out and run slowly for a while then refill.
:D:D:D:D

Turn the wheel back and forth slowly while running. It helps to get the air out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom