Prep for Installing head gasket.

Prep for Installing head gasket.

Icon

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, 1976 232 6Speed
Hello folks, just want to make sure I am not spray something I should not be on the block or cylinder head. Once I get the cylinder head off, what can I spray or clean it with? Also, once the head is off should I wipe the block down with something before applying the new cylinder head gasket.

Thank you for your time.

I use CRC red can brake cleaner to wipe everything down. I also use a scotchbrite gasket cleaning disc with my die grinder, or even just scotchbrite pads until all traces of the former gasket is gone. Before resetting the head check for warping wipe all mating surfaces down with the brake cleaner and clean rag to remove any oil and contamination one last time. Torque head and enjoy.:D

I don't know what you know Icon so take this with a grain of salt.

But you don't have to worry about about getting the whole stain from the old gasket out or anything, so don't start sanding it down :D. Also, make sure you torque in the order that is recommeneded. On a straight six it's center to outermost as if you were drawing a circlular (swirl) pattern. :chug:

I use a small gasket scraper and carefully go along both block and head surfaces....just to knock down anything that might prohibit a good headgasket seal.

I use a hone stone on my Snapon scraper. Then followup with a single edge razor blade. I buy the blades in the 100packs.

Lots of ways to do. Try some different ways and pick the one you like.

I have a couple of long bolts, 1/2 inch X6 or 7", with the heads cut off and ground smooth. Put these into the block in the head bolt holes at both ends to help line the head up. This keeps the gasket where it belongs as you manipulate that heavy block of cast iron into position. when you have a couple of real head bolts in place finger tight, remove the studs you used to line the head up. I like to lower the head with an engine hoist but I am a grey haired old fat guy and can't curl 200 pounds anymore.:D
Some of us may still have alignment pins in the heads but it has been quite a few years since I have seen one of those.:cool:

and don't spray anything on the gasket, do use a shop vac to clean out the cylinders when you have the old gasket removed.

If you filled out your profile with vehicle information I could tell if you needed 1/2 inch or 7/16 bolts.:D

I use CRC red can brake cleaner to wipe everything down. I also use a scotchbrite gasket cleaning disc with my die grinder, or even just scotchbrite pads until all traces of the former gasket is gone. Before resetting the head check for warping wipe all mating surfaces down with the brake cleaner and clean rag to remove any oil and contamination one last time. Torque head and enjoy.:D

I like this. Be sure to stuff rags in the cylinders to keep out the stuff you grind off. Otherwise it will sit on top of the rings and eat away at the cylinder walls when you get it running.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom