product review: Tompkin machine rock rails

product review: Tompkin machine rock rails

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
Three pictures of the passenger side rail/step/nerf/whatever.

TOMKEN MACHINE - Item Detail

It looks good and it is hell-for -strong. I do believe I could raise the CJ with a high lift with not a lot of trouble. The quality of workmanship is outstanding, the welding is clean and neat and professional looking. the cuts were square and straight. the powder coat paint is as good as I would expect. The over all design is a great piece of work, I am very unpressed with the modular frame mounts. It is a lot easier than holding a section of pipe while trying to put a nut on a bolt. All in all I think I got my money worth in this deal.
I picked these rails because I like the design and the look. I think flat works better than round, it slides better and it is better to stand on. This has all but eliminated the problem of short women climbing into the passenger side seat. If this is to turn out to be a good thing or not is yet to be seen. I think square/rectangular looks better with the overall "brick" appearance of the CJ5. This unit is one of a very small number that is available for the CJ5. I understand this, it's a question of a very small target market.
For me, at this time, for this item, I felt it was cost effective to buy this rather than build it. I still feel good about the decision.
As I said these are shots of the passenger side, that is the only one I have on and I have spent about 5 hours on the project with more than a bit of head scratching. To say that these are easy to install may be not quite the truth. I am a bit picky, I guess, I do expect things to line up with the rest of the machine and be straight and level (when the rest of it is). On the passengers side I found I needed to re drill the holes to hold the rail in the horizontal (2), cut a 3/4 inch spacer to raise the front mount to line the rail parallel with bottom of the rocker panel and cut and drill 1/4 inch shims to take up the slack in the mount clamping to the frame rail, they were just too wide. Most of the head scratching was trying to decide weather I was missing something and not doing the assembly right. The directions are short and to the point when the entire assembly is 10 pieces with hardware you don't need a lot.
The passenger side was the easy side. preliminary look at the driver side says the e-brake cable mount bracket is in conflict with the rear rail mount.I have pretty much decided to keep the E-Brake where it is so this may require a cut and weld to relocate the mount tube a couple of inches. We shall see. And maybe I'm just not looking at it right. I am sure there is some variation in CJ5 frame from year to year so maybe these small problems are unique to the 1977.

Thanks for the project/product write-up. I'll be interested to hear how the driver's side installation works out. Will you be adding anything to the top to aid in traction for people using it as a step?

Will you be adding anything to the top to aid in traction for people using it as a step?

He will be the frist time be busts his a##. :D
The traction tape they sell for trailers works.

He will be the frist time be busts his a##. :D
The traction tape they sell for trailers works.
Exactly! (on both points)
I thought I got excellent traction on my rock sliders. That is until the first freezing weather. After busting my a## I bought this stuff at an auto parts store:

safety-tread.jpg

It works great.

I think the non slip tape is a good idea. I am also thinking of a way to keep muddy boots from kicking the panel every time someone gets in.:cool:

OK, so it's time for the second installment of this review. The drivers side.
let me start by saying I am still happy with the purchase of these rails and although I feel I am quite competent of building these from scratch and perhaps even end up with a better fitting design, I think this was a very cost effective decision with regard to the price to free time ratio. In other words, there were things I would rather be doing than building these things.
I did have to re-drill a few holes and shim a few places and even remove and re weld one of the outriggers. I have to say that if you are hoping for a product that just "bolts on and is just right" you may be a bit disappointed. In fact you may not be able to mount the drivers side at all.However if you can drill a few 3/8" holes, cut and drill a few shims and cut a weld, ( I used a die grinder with a thin cut off wheel) relocate it and re-weld it, I think you will appreciate the time saved to end up with a pretty good looking set of rails.
I will say that I am sure there are some variations in the frame, body and there relation to each other. This said, one day I will lay under the CJ for an hour or two and try to understand why there were elevation differences between the two sides of as much as an inch.
So considering looks, functionality, price and ease of installation I give this one a 3 1/2 out of 5.:cool:

be sure to catch my next product review on the WeatherProof 2 and 4 Wire Connector Kit from "Keep it clean".

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom