Misc. Pulling a 5x10 teardrop camper

Misc. Pulling a 5x10 teardrop camper

CJ Ohio

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 258, T18, D300, D20, D44
Dose anyone have experience pulling a 5x10 teardrop camper or cargo trailer with a CJ7? Forgetting the power requirements for now, can the short stout CJ stay stable enough and stop that trailer at mild highway speeds? Is something 5x10 in the 1800~2000 pound range with electric brakes be considered doable or a bit of a hazardous adventure? My CJ has larger GM front disks and stock drums on a D44 on the back.

Yes. I have a single axle 5x10 utility trailer and use my CJ5 to pull it. No issues even on the freeway. I haul the quad and camping gear and sometimes my DJ gear, and it’s not a flimsy Home Depot trailer. But still you should be careful.

No auxiliary brakes needed.

My owners manual for my 84 states that the class 1 tow rating should never exceed 2000 pounds GVWR. That's the weight of the trailer and everything you shove in it. And a tongue weight not to exceed 200 pounds. That being said, other factors include a trailer that is longer than your jeep and all of the physical factors that could give you that unwanted and potentially dangerous adventure ride. Think tail wagging the dog type of ride in gusty winds. or passing a semi going the other way. I have driven from Montana to Florida and back pulling a small U-hall trailer. Most of the trip was just a drive, those times in wind and semi's made me regret the whole trip. Forty years ago I was less informed and less fearful of the what ifs. My concern in your scenario would be the overall length of the trailer and the potential to overfill the trailer with gear. I guess I would think twice about this set up. I'm not sure towing was what they were built for. They can do it, but only because jeep wanted a marketing tool to sell their product against other manufacturers. smaller is better behind a 93 inch wheel base. Just my $.02

f

7b.jpgcan handle light loads, I'll do it in the one in the back of this TJ when done fixing it up

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks