pulling the motor

pulling the motor

drivert51

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 CJ5, 304, 3 speed
Getting ready to pull the motor off the old frame. Is it possible to do this by unbolting the tranny and sliding the motor forward when I lift it or do I have to drop the tranny first?

No you don't need to pull the Transmission . Just unbolt the motor lift and pull forward like you thought.

Then you just need to unbolt the Transmission from the motor and they will come apart. No need to do anything with the cover.

If your talking about the inspection plate that is mounted to the bellhousing, it does need to come off. Otherwise it will hang up on the flywheel.

Not to separate the tranny from the bellhousing / engine. It'll need removed when he pulls the bellhousing off the engine.

Drivert - What you want to do will work, as was said above, but be careful not to ding up the input shaft of the tranny as it pulls thru the clutch and bellhousing. Hopefully your fan and radiator are removed for room to come forward first.

If your talking about the inspection plate that is mounted to the bellhousing, it does need to come off. Otherwise it will hang up on the flywheel.
I've never seen a inspection cover on a standerd Transmission bellhouseing only automatics.

It's on the front of the bellhousing and covers the drivers side half where there is no flex plate, like on the pass. side where the flex plate has the opening for the starter to go thru.

Holy smokes you've got more than the rad and front clip out of the way there!!

Doing a full restore?

Good job man :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom