Pulse air tubes.

Pulse air tubes.

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Im looking to clean up the engine compartment now that Im dumping alot of the emissions junk and some wires. Those tubes that bolt into the exhaust manifold are really rusted , the bolts I mean. I just got all my exhaust leaks taken care of and dont want to create another one. Anybody got an easy way to get them out. Or will I get away with them just snapping off and still plugging the holes?

I have been having really good luck with a penetrating oil made of equal parts ATF and acetone. after you cut the tube off I would think you should be able to get a 6 point socket on them and I think they are pipe threads so the home despot should have plugs to fit.
Let me know about the threads I have replaces several of the injection manifolds but have never just pluged the holes.

I am a huge fan of left hand drill bits, I have been using them for years. Nice thing about these versus and easy out is that as you drill in a couple of things happen 1, you are creating heat which will assist in loosening the bolt, 2, as you go deeper pressure is lessend on the threads, the drill bit will eventually bite and sping the bolt. A little penetrating oil before had is also good.

i dont know about other auto parts stores, but i got my pipe plugs at work when i did mine.

Thanx. How did your extraction work out? Im in the rusty situation. Sure you were to. The Scrambler has become my Daily Driver. Just dont wanna "f" it all up one day after work with 2 hrs of daylight. :(
i dont know about other auto parts stores, but i got my pipe plugs at work when i did mine.

Sorry Pete, I didn't screw with my pulse air tubes. I just went and bought a new exhaust manifold. This is for your Scrambler correct? Does that mean that it has the exhaust manifold without the flapper thing in it? Like this one?

1433d1257302211-pulse-air-tubes-manifold.jpg

Because this one is just sitting in my garage, I picked it up from a guy at work, it's brand new. It's the wrong style to match a '78 intake manifold, I needed the one with the flapper in it.

Elwood, where did you find the new manifold with out the holes?? for your 78??

Sorry Pete, I didn't screw with my pulse air tubes. I just went and bought a new exhaust manifold. This is for your Scrambler correct? Does that mean that it has the exhaust manifold without the flapper thing in it? Like this one?

Because this one is just sitting in my garage, I picked it up from a guy at work, it's brand new. It's the wrong style to match a '78 intake manifold, I needed the one with the flapper in it.

The exhuast manifold that I bought has the holes for the pulse air tubes. I just plugged them. I bought it from A1 auto parts. They were the least expensive place I could find, and it's the same manifold you can buy from 4WD or Morris.

Let me compare it to mine after I get home from work and I'll let you know. Its for the Scrambler , but If I dont have to swap out the manifold I wont. I was also thinking if a bolt or 2 beaks there might not be any harm anyway. It would still be plugged. I just want to have everything on hand "in case of". :D

Let me compare it to mine after I get home from work and I'll let you know. Its for the Scrambler , but If I dont have to swap out the manifold I wont. I was also thinking if a bolt or 2 beaks there might not be any harm anyway. It would still be plugged. I just want to have everything on hand "in case of". :D

Not true. Those bolts are hollow. I don't know if you can see on the picture. But at the end of the air tube is a hoop, the bolt goes through the end of the air tube into manifold. If you snap the head of one of those bolts off, you still have a hole in the manifold.

DSC_0036.png

can we assume that the tubes are already broken off??
I don't think this is going to be a big problem, soak them down with penetrating oil and put a six point on it. I would think the biggest problem you could have is to round the head off. You know better than to put a 4 foot cheater on the break over bar, just work it like you would any other rusted bolt, with a little fineness.
I think that the fact that the bolts are hollow may even work to your advantage, they may have just a bit of "give" to allow them to break free from the threads. :chug:

hey Elwood;
Just a passing thought on heat riser flaps.
headers don't have them.
there is something that will make you go "Hmmmm":cool:

Tubes are still there. Im gonna hold off till my next day off just in case. Unfortunately that next day off is Sat. the 14th.
can we assume that the tubes are already broken off??
I don't think this is going to be a big problem, soak them down with penetrating oil and put a six point on it. I would think the biggest problem you could have is to round the head off. You know better than to put a 4 foot cheater on the break over bar, just work it like you would any other rusted bolt, with a little fineness.
I think that the fact that the bolts are hollow may even work to your advantage, they may have just a bit of "give" to allow them to break free from the threads. :chug:

Tubes are still there. Im gonna hold off till my next day off just in case. Unfortunately that next day off is Sat. the 14th.

go put some oil on it and let it set two or three nights between now and the 14th, OK so it will smell a bit when you drive it in the morning. With a little prep work this could become a 15 minute job, it will take longer to go to the HD to find the plugs than to take them out.:cool:

Thanx. How did your extraction work out? Im in the rusty situation. Sure you were to. The Scrambler has become my Daily Driver. Just dont wanna "f" it all up one day after work with 2 hrs of daylight. :(

i sprayed mine with pb blaster and let it sit overnight and they came right out.

Ok. Im going to revisit this a little later. That manifold you have Elwood looks like mine. Im thinking when I do this I might just go with a header right away.
Not true. Those bolts are hollow. I don't know if you can see on the picture. But at the end of the air tube is a hoop, the bolt goes through the end of the air tube into manifold. If you snap the head of one of those bolts off, you still have a hole in the manifold.

DSC_0036.png

I have been having really good luck with a penetrating oil made of equal parts ATF and acetone. after you cut the tube off I would think you should be able to get a 6 point socket on them and I think they are pipe threads so the home despot should have plugs to fit.
Let me know about the threads I have replaces several of the injection manifolds but have never just pluged the holes.

Oh yeah! IO knows what Kroil (The Best!) is made of and refuses to pay $12 a can for what he can make at home. Warm up the engine before you apply the penetrant. If really bad, I'd do this a couple of times before I cut the tubes (or pinch them off) The hole receives standard pipe thread plugs.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom