QuadraTrac Operation Procedures

QuadraTrac Operation Procedures

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
#1 - 1977 CJ-7 Renegade (Daisy Jane), Levis trim, 304, TH400, BW1339 (MM), D30/Auburn Max, AMC20/Trac-Lok/G2's, 4.88's, 33" BFG MT KM2's, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Sniper 4bbl EFI, MSD6, MSD ProBillet distributor, OME shocks, 4" ProComp lift.

#2 - 1984 CJ-7 Laredo (The Texas Hooker Project - Incomplete/Undecided)
Can someone run down for me the textbook procedures for operating the QuadraTrac Transmission with the low range...like when can I go to low range? Park? Neutral? Must I be in FWD? When can I go to FWD? Park? Neutral?

How do I test the FWD switch? Is there something I can see or is it just a vaccum measurement? If so, what's the measurement?

Thanks in advance...

Can someone run down for me the textbook procedures for operating the QuadraTrac Transmission with the low range...like when can I go to low range? Park? Neutral? Must I be in FWD? When can I go to FWD? Park? Neutral?

How do I test the FWD switch? Is there something I can see or is it just a vaccum measurement? If so, what's the measurement?

Thanks in advance...

I don't know about textbook, but I'll give some pointers..
First of all, Q-Tracs are basically full time 4 wheel drive if you didn't already know.. There's a Limited slip diff on the front output, that when you switch the emergency drive switch in the glove box, locks it in.. now you should be able to hear it switch in and out while your jeep is running and in park, it's vacuum operated, and can be switched at anytime while driving or parked. The low range works like any other low range in a 4x4, it's mechanical and you have got to be stopped, in neutral or park, to engage or disengage. You can be in low range with the emergency switch on or off, it works the same way as in high range..

That's about it, pretty simple.. Happy wheeling!:D

Thanks Niedhogg... That's what I assumed, so we're good.

One thing though, I did try the low range one time while I was in AWD (not FWD) and it wanted to grind as I moved it forward regardless if I was in park or neutral...any thoughts?

Last edited:
If you were still moving, even just a little, it would grind... otherwise, it should not. Was it a lot of grinding, like missing a gear while driving a manual tranny, type of grinding?? Or just a couple short skips across the teeth and it engaged?

If you were still moving, even just a little, it would grind... otherwise, it should not. Was it a lot of grinding, like missing a gear while driving a manual tranny, type of grinding?? Or just a couple short skips across the teeth and it engaged?

A lot of grinding...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom