Question about my outboard motor

Question about my outboard motor

craveman85

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj8, gm 151, sr4, Dana 300, Dana 30, amc 20, 3.73s
I'm not too familiar with points type ignition systems. I have a pair of 63 homelite 55 4 cylinder 4 stroke outboards. In their ignition wiring there's a high/low switch. Any idea on what this could be for? I'll post up a wiring diagram picture when I find the correct one. Of course it could be something to do with the rectifier too. There isn't really a good source of technical data on these motors and the very few people who do know about them take forever to respond if they do at all. Tried all my boating forums with no replies. Maybe you guys can help. Basically these outboards are a stroked 44" crosley car engine turned on its side. I've got it running great and they sound awesome. They'll also idle down to 700 rpms all day and burn no oil. Love these things.

Pics!!!!! I want to see some pics of these!!!

FB_IMG_1476577575906.png
This is the one I'll be using. Cleaning it up at the moment. The boat belongs to the guy I got the motors from.
FB_IMG_1476577613106.png
FB_IMG_1476577588122.png
My spare also running now.
crosscut.png
Cutaway view.
And just for giggles the 59 mercury mark 78a 70hp "dockbuster" it will be replacing. This motor is direct drive. Always in gear. To run in reverse it shuts off and the distributor rotates and the whole engine is fired backwards. Not efficient or user friendly but cool as hell.
FB_IMG_1473989488036.png

Oh here's that diagram
KIMG0908.png

The high low switch on the right side midway up the page.

In 66/67 Fisher pierce the company that owns Boston whaler bought them out and changed the name to the bearcat 55. They were heavier than a comparable 2 stroke and not very popular although reliable and efficient. Fisher pierce stopped production and discarded the tooling in 72 before the gas crisis.

Very Nice! Love that old junk! Gonna be a biotch finding parts? You got two of them? Double Nice!

Very hard to find parts. I actually have a couple of parts motors that aren't complete as well. I'm also hoping 2 more are still available after Christmas. They're dirt cheap but about 8 hours away.

Very hard to find parts. I actually have a couple of parts motors that aren't complete as well. I'm also hoping 2 more are still available after Christmas. They're dirt cheap but about 8 hours away.

My SWAG on the high-low switch, it's for altitude.
Suggest you carry a spare set of points and condenser with you at all times.
LG

I'm starting to think it may be something to do with a vintage regulator. Hopefully when I find the part numbers it will be converted to a pertronix electronic ignition.

After seeing the diagram. I think it's for start up. Notice how it routes to the rectifier?
For some reason-That diagram didn't show for me when I made that post.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks