Question about seat belts

Question about seat belts

bullyben

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981, CJ7, 6-cylinder, manual
Newbie to the CJ world so be kind. just got an 81 CJ7 (my other jeep's are 99 wrangler and 90 grand wagoneer). going thru the cj as it has not been driven in a while, and notice it has lap belts and drivers side is hosed (assemble where it retracts is rusted and broke). how hard is it to switch to 3-point and if doable, what advice on where to purchase and how do they bolt on. thanks

If the roll bar has a mount for a 3 point your good to go.
If not you need to drill the bar and insert a sleeve and weld it in for the bolt
to pass thru.
Replacement belts can be bought at quadratec or even a universal belt can be used.
Just make sure all the hardware is used, bolts, washers, etc.
I use grade 8 on everything in my jeep.

Here is an interesting point, Do the top conections need to be thru bolted or would a threaded insert work as well?? I was kind of planning to drill, weld the insert in the hole and then tap it for the belt bolt.

If the roll bar has a mount for a 3 point your good to go.
If not you need to drill the bar and insert a sleeve and weld it in for the bolt
to pass thru.
Replacement belts can be bought at quadratec or even a universal belt can be used.
Just make sure all the hardware is used, bolts, washers, etc.
I use grade 8 on everything in my jeep.

there is some argument weather 3 point or 4 or 5 point make the best setup
for a 3 point, you need a loop up high on the roll bar and mount the retractor down low
if you want a 4 or 5 point, they make a setup you can do such with, it has a retractor and the 2 upper belts come together. However you need to have seats that have loops for the upper belts. I use this system in my 67 it works great and look cool
hear is the belt
Corbeau 43305B - CORBEAU 2-Inch Retractable Harness Belts - Quadratec
I have flipped a jeep and rode down the road on the roll cage at 70 mph and the 3 point saved my life holding me in the Jeep. I have since upgraded to 4 points in my 67 and when I build the 70 will do such.

Take a peek at a YJ, TJ, or JK and see what they did with the upper mount.
I threaded it all the way thru once the bolt was installed I then installed a
lock washer and nut.
Yes I over build but it's me arse in the seat.

I'm digging the 3 point set up from Corbeau. That would be ideal for my plans this winter om the 5.

is it necesary to weld an insert through the roll bar. i want to put shoulder harness belts on my 80 CJ7 but the roll bar is finished with Line-x and dont want to mess it up. Can't you just drill a hole clear through the roll bar and run a long bolt clear through and put a locking bolt on it? Then i'm assuming i can mount the retractable unit somewhere down near the stock lap belt retactor is located and the lap belt end in same place as current lap belt retractor. Any help would be apprciated or pics from a 82 or newer CJ7 . Thanks

if you dont use an insert, the bolt could rip right through the roll bar. or over tightening will distort and weaken the roll bar. lets hope we never have to experience this sort of thing

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom