radiator questions

radiator questions

wdcarut

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 cj 5
Hi guys, recently bought 1979 CJ5 and was told by owner had new radiator put in last summer. Well sure enough it crapped out and when I was taking it out i realized that is was a stock radiator for a 302. He had put an amc 360 in and never changed radiator or thermostat. it was a 160 thermostat. I changed that to 195, my question is which is better for the 360 a 3 core aluminum or 4 core steel? anybody have better luck with either?

I'm running an aluminum high flow on my 401. With the stock radiator I was having over heating issues. I am happy with this setup. Using a 180 degree thermostat.

I have a good mild build on my Jeep, and I use a stock 3 core radiator. I have had a few issues with getting hot, but I dont have a shroud on mine, and I think thats a lot of that problem. In normal outside temps, I dont overheat at all, but when racing or driving on the road for a longer distance, it will get hot enough to puke a bit of coolant, but never steam.

I'm running an aluminum high flow on my 401. With the stock radiator I was having over heating issues. I am happy with this setup. Using a 180 degree thermostat.
What brand did you use?
Running a separate tranny cooler?
Electric fan?

thanks
brian

The radiator is a 4 wheel drive hardware brand, not sure who made it. No tranny cooler, have manuel tranny. I have tried single electric and dual electric fans in the past. Now running stock mechanical fan with clutch and no shroud. I tried installing a shroud and butchered 2 shrouds from Summit Racing, so I gave up on that.

The radiator is a 4 wheel drive hardware brand, not sure who made it. No tranny cooler, have manuel tranny. I have tried single electric and dual electric fans in the past. Now running stock mechanical fan with clutch and no shroud. I tried installing a shroud and butchered 2 shrouds from Summit Racing, so I gave up on that.

WOW...I can see why you used their brand..!!
I could spend 780 to nearly 900 on the BCool brand!!!
They sure are proud of their aluminum!!!

I believe I might go your route!
brian

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom