rear end dissembly tools

rear end dissembly tools

cass

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Cj5, 350 chevy (i built myself), T176, Dana 300, stock narrow trac 3.54 axles, locked in the rear, power steering, power brakes, tilt steering, Warn lockouts, 31x10.50x15 AT's, hi lift jack mounted on the front, bed lined tub, firestick cb setup, 5 in hella lights, NO RUST!!
ok i was reading in my manual and it shows using a puller to get the drums off. we are working on the AMC20 rear end in a 79 CJ5 . i cant seem to find any pullers online to do the job. can anyone point me in the right direction of what to buy to get to the brakes to replace the emergency cables.

ok i was reading in my manual and it shows using a puller to get the drums off. we are working on the AMC20 rear end in a 79 CJ5 . i cant seem to find any pullers online to do the job. can anyone point me in the right direction of what to buy to get to the brakes to replace the emergency cables.

Does it show the puller for getting the drums off or the hub off?? getting the hub off the flange will take a puller. The drum should be staright forward. Remove the tire, looking for the little metal washer looking clips that help hold the drum on if they are there pry or cut them off it they are missing you are good. Spray around the studs and round the center with some PB blaster or Knocker Loose type of liquid to help break the rusty hug the parts have on each other, let it sit for a little bit then work it with a hammer. Dont be afraid to repeat the spraying and waiting if its still on there tight.

One last thing you that may make it a little easier is to loosen the adjusting screw to back the pads off.

Once you have the drum off I would spray every thing with brake cleaner and take a pic of how its all assembled. I thing you need to dis assemble most of it to replace the e brake cable. Most diagrams you will find look nice but actually suck when it come down to reassembly. Pic is worth 1000 cuss words.

OK first off, we are talking drums not hubs, right?? The drums on an AMC20 have philips head counter sunk bolts holding them in. these must be removed. I would suggest a hammer impact for this to help avoid stripping the heads, if worse comes to worse drill the head off. sometimes it is needed to rap on the drum a bit to get it off, it may be needed to back the brake adjuster wheel off to pull the drum.

I have yet to understand why anyone would pull the hub off. It is easy to pull the whole axle out and a really major pain to pull the hub. What reason do you have for pulling the hub??:cool:

i guess i didnt relize you could take the drum off seperate than the hub. my manual sucks and shows the drum and hub coming off together. i have no reason to take the hub off. just the drum. thanks guys. :chug:

i guess i didnt relize you could take the drum off seperate than the hub. my manual sucks and shows the drum and hub coming off together. i have no reason to take the hub off. just the drum. thanks guys. :chug:

If you need to remove the hub, the best way is to remove the drum, turn it backwards and thread some bolts back in. Then use the drum as a slide hammer. ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom