Rear oil leak

Rear oil leak

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
Cannot tell if its the seal or pan. What is involved with changing seal, does motor have to be pulled?

Only an issue after driving, its splattered like its hitting the flywheel

When you drop the pan see if the rear pan seal is there. I changed my seals and the PO had not replaced the rear pan seal, there was oil everywhere. :censored:

Its very minor, which makes me believe some oil is just expelling from the rear of the pan. Wouldnt a leak in the seal be worse or would a leak in valley of pan?

RMS leak is the worst. Do you know what kind of pan gasket is on there now? I went with a Felpro 1-piece rubber gasket which so far is pretty nice.

Felpro has a one piece for a 360??? Did not know that.

My bad, didn't realize you were running a 360. Multi-piece gasket for you then.

If you replace the pan gaskets make sure you get silicone in the corners were everything meets up. I have had leaks there in the past. The last time I changed out the gaskets, I used The Right Stuff on the curved rubber piece and in the corners and have not had any leaks since. Several years now. You just rebuilt that engine, was the rear main seal installed in the right direction? Also you need silicon on the ends of the rear main seal were the rear main cap contacts the block. It really is a poor design with all the pieces that mate together, all potential leaks. If oil is hitting the flywheel, that sounds like rear main seal area to me.

Dropped pan and re sealed. I took it out and warmed it up, now I wait and pray for no drips!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it is main seal, do you have to pull motor?

No you don't have to pull the engine out, the rear main seal is under the rear main cap. If that is leaking the oil pan will have to come off again!

Please pray for me.

Thought I was good, it's the rear main. Dropping it again.

Can I change seal with engine and tranny in place for sure? or is replacing the rear seal a pita that requires pulling motor? I want to make sure this is the last time. The seal looks to be two rubber half circles. Dropping the cap will give me access to the top?

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you!!!!!

You should get yourself a black light and put oil compatible dye in oil to confirm where leak is. I changed my rear seal two times only to find out that leak was coming from intake manifold. I couldn't see oil leak without it.

Im not 100 sold on rear seal. Its like the oil is blown back by airflow. Ive never heard of dye for oil. Intrigued

It's called flouresine(sp?). I have used it before on an oil well. Give me a little bit to find you a source and I will be back...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks