!*#?/ rear view mirror button won't stick

!*#?/ rear view mirror button won't stick

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
I've applied 3 different buttons & as soon as I mount the mirror, they pull off. I've scraped, wiped & applied anywhere from 1 drop to coating the buttons. They won't stay. Never had this problem before. Any advice?

The glue in the new kits seems to be a POS. I had the same issue a month or so ago when I had to pop in another windshield. I finally just went to a local body shop and they hooked me up with a good primer / adhesive.

Simple fix

Just threw bolt it!:laugh:

Gorilla glue is making a super glue. I have been quite impressed with it in some other things. I need to glue a mirror to my windshield and just have not gotten around to it or I would be able to tell you how well it worked.:cool:

I was always impressed with the "Wink"racing rearview mirrors.
They make a multi-panel mirrors.
moz-screenshot-21.png

I've applied 3 different buttons & as soon as I mount the mirror, they pull off. I've scraped, wiped & applied anywhere from 1 drop to coating the buttons. They won't stay. Never had this problem before. Any advice?
You are then in this typical automotive irritation. Sometimes the rearview mirror defies the strength of the adhesive which fixes it with the inner windshield. Never mind. Just get NAPA and 3-M which is a reattachment kit of the mirror and select a day when moisture is less or is absent around you.
Just clear the space where the mirror was fixed and clear the space with a good scraper. Now polish the space with petrol or spirit to remove the remains of the former adhesive, grease etc and allow it to dry.
Remove the old tiny U-button or/and the tiny screw used earlier and clean with care this space also.
Your new kit has U-button. Set it properly with adequate pressure and take adhesive from the kit. Next, take out just one drop of the adhesive and put it at the center of the inner face of the button. Now re-fix the rearview mirror carefully and allow the adhesive to get dried.
It is easy. Try and test and you will feel happy.

I've put 2 on recently and didn't have an issue.
Go to autozone, in the mirror section they will have a kit with
glue, cleaner and a button.
1. Make sure the windshield is clean.
2. Use the wipe in the kit to clean the spot where the button will go.
3. Wait about 10 min or so for the cleaner to disappear.
4. Apply a drop per the instructions to the button.
5. Stick in on the windshield kinda wiggle it to make sure the glue is dispersed.
I usually do this by standing in the jeep and looking at the backside thru
the glass so I can see the glue spead out. Press hard/hold it in place real still for
the required time, see directions it's like a min or 2.
6. Once you've held it in place for the required time, let it go and walk away.
7. Tomorrow like 24hrs later install the mirror.

I've used this method and have yet to have one fall off as a matter of fact if you
fook up and install the button upside down it'll be a SOB to remove.

Gorilla glue is making a super glue. I have been quite impressed with it in some other things. I need to glue a mirror to my windshield and just have not gotten around to it or I would be able to tell you how well it worked.:cool:

My 2 year old son thought my mirror was something he could hang from..."oops daddy it broke"

I just used regular gorilla glue, and a piece of packing tape to hold it in place til it set up. now he really can hang off it. :laugh:

I don't even have a mirror on my windshield. I run two 18 wheeler hot spot mirrors on either side.:eek:

Looks like a job for

DUCT TAPE MAN

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom