Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
07 ford f-150 xl, auto, daily driver
98 chevy suburban, (family car)(SOLD)
2005 Ford Expedition
80 cj-5, body and frame
Hey I had a question on what the best way to remove the springs, axles off the frame.

Do you unbolt the axle to the springs first, or vice versa, or unbolt the springs to the frame?

Any thoughts, as always, thanks for the help/advice.

oh, and i don't have an impact right now, although i do have access to one...i'm thinking this is the best way to unbolt those spring bolts and u-bolts.

Don't know that it matters much as to how you do it. But I always take the axle out and than take the springs off, it just seems easier to me.

With a SUA setup I think it easier to pull the springs from the frame first then you can roll it all out from under the Jeep and separate the axle from the springs with out having to work under a Jeep. When you pull the axle first you have to muscle it out over the springs with a Jeep above your head.

With a SUA setup I think it easier to pull the springs from the frame first then you can roll it all out from under the Jeep and separate the axle from the springs with out having to work under a Jeep. When you pull the axle first you have to muscle it out over the springs with a Jeep above your head.

Good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do shackle side, frame side then roll it out. with help from a friend you can flip the whole axle over to gain acess to the bolts on the spring plates.

I have found through working on trailers, it is easier to loosen the ubolt nuts first, then take the whole assembly out for dismantle. It keeps it from moving around so much.

My $.02...

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Ditto

Many times I end up cutting the Ubolts off with a cutoff wheel. It's easier rolled out from under the frame.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. But I would loosen all nuts while things are still mounted. Then you don't have to hold things steady or have help holding things to break nuts loose if you take it out as an assembly.

well i have taken off the back half of the back axle, now does anyone have recommendations as to removing the front half (bolts with the bushings) besides dynamite or paul bunion?

Those old locknuts might have seized up on you. Introduce the Gas Axe and get some new bolts and nuts. IF you get them off, they will probably be shot anyway. Not a good place to have a weak link in the chain so to speak...

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

ok, everything is going to be replaced anyway, as far as nuts and bolts, grade 8 all the way (well most of the way)

p.s. whats a gas axe?

Gas Axe
Blue Wrench

Same thing

Cutting torch. :D

Heat the nut up and use a BIG breaker bar

Heat the nut up and use a BIG breaker bar

....... and the last time (1 wk back) I was in Advance Auto, PB BLASTER was on sale 2 for $6 bucks. I used to buy WD-40 by the gallon; now I need PB BLASTER in bigger sizes.

....... and the last time (1 wk back) I was in Advance Auto, PB BLASTER was on sale 2 for $6 bucks. I used to buy WD-40 by the gallon; now I need PB BLASTER in bigger sizes.

Since I've been a member I use PBS blaster. That stuff works

well i got it all taken apart, ready to be sold (easier in pieces to sell). Just wanted to follow up with everyone.

the torch and wax worked wonders

sledge and metal dowel worked, although i don't recommend, hands hurt after that

use lots of PB blaster, WD-40 or some lubricant

and don't forget a breaker bar i wore a 1 1/2" bar i had laying around, out completly :D

anyway, thanks again guys.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom