Misc. Replace the tub or patch the old one; What say you?

Misc. Replace the tub or patch the old one; What say you?

iChuck12

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ-7, 258, TH400, BW 1339 QuadraTrac, D20 Rear, D25 Front Diff(?)
Hi, everyone. New to the site and a reactivated jeep owner. Had a 78 CJ7 back in the late 80's and I'm trying to relive those glory years. I have a new-to-me 78 CJ7 that's mostly original (except all of the bondo, duct tape, and brown spray paint holding the rust together). The tub is in pretty bad shape, but the frame and engine are decent.

My question: If I want to restore this beauty back to factory original, but the tub is in such bad shape that it would be easier to replace the tub than replace most of the tub panels separately, am I ruining the value of the Jeep by putting a new tub verses patching the old one? If I put on a new tub, is it worth trying to get it back to factory original, or have I modified it such that it wouldn't count as "original"?

Thanks for your input and opinions!

I replaced my tub I'm going to replace my wife's tub and I've done it for several customers. Use a 87-95 YJ tub and with a few small modifications your done and if you really care swap out the stamping on the side and no one will even know

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Check the frame for internal frame rust. They can rust from the inside out.

Check the frame for internal frame rust. They can rust from the inside out.
Thanks, Belizean. There is a small area on the passenger rear side frame that needs some rust replacement. I plan on scoping the rest of the frame insides to make sure there aren't any other bad spots. Going to try to clean it out and coat it while I'm rebuilding.

I replaced my tub I'm going to replace my wife's tub and I've done it for several customers. Use a 87-95 YJ tub and with a few small modifications your done and if you really care swap out the stamping on the side and no one will even know

Manic Mechanic- Thanks. Is there a big cost difference between a late 70's CJ tub and the 87-95 YJ tub?

Manic Mechanic- Thanks. Is there a big cost difference between a late 70's CJ tub and the 87-95 YJ tub?
I bought my last YJ tub for 400 bucks. They might be up to 5-600 by now with the way things are going. If you get a 93-95 you can sell the family style roll cage and recoup some money or run it for the kiddos which is what I'm doing with my wife's 79

I see no issue with swapping a tub. You're not dealing with a "matching numbers" antique when it comes to body parts on an old CJ. Now some may say that an aftermarket tub diminishes the value of a restoration. And others will say they don't like fiberglass tubs or aluminum tubs, they want an original steel. So be it - to each his own. But you can buy new tubs made from numerous materials that suit your needs and I don't believe you'll diminish the value of a well done rebuild. Don't want a new tub or the cost of one? Great suggestions here about a used one from a newer Jeep. A few hundred dollars for a YJ tub is a great suggestion. And you can still find CJ tubs that are in good condition as well. I have a CJ with a YJ "family style" roll bar in it and love it. It suits my needs and I don't really care about being a "realist" or "purist" or future resale value. To me, building an old Jeep is all about what you plan to do with it and your personal tastes. Cut fenders, modified suspension, engine/tranny swaps, custom bumpers, cages, it's all good. One of the beauties of old Jeeps.

You'll find out how much "resolve" you got if you go down this rabbit hole. I did a YJ tub swap on the first rebuild. Buy a large box of band aids.

I’d argue a new tub increases value because of the piece of mind that all the rust is gone.

Check frame internals as mentioned

Another that believes you will be far ahead to swap tubs. It is really difficult to construct a tub from patch panels and have it all come out looking bone stock. Not to mention the huge sink of time and money. Personally, if I was purchasing, I would likely also pay more for a well done swap than a cut, paste and weld job. In the end analysis, nothing is ever going to bring the value of a rusted out Jeep back to what a show room stock one would be, period. But these days, there doesn't appear to be a shortage of naive fools with excess funds so one never knows..

I was at the same decision when I started my build. I decided to go with a new tub but not right away. I wanted to make sure all the mechanical restoration was done first. I'm a bull in a china shop and didn't want to be doing mechanical work around a nice new paint job!

I was at the same decision when I started my build. I decided to go with a new tub but not right away. I wanted to make sure all the mechanical restoration was done first. I'm a bull in a china shop and didn't want to be doing mechanical work around a nice new paint job!
Don't shoot me! So your actually quite nimble huh? :notworthy: :rofl: (great Mythbusters episode)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LMAO

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks