Replacement Hub Questions

Replacement Hub Questions

gonfst

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 304 V8, AMC 20 rear, Dana 44 front.
Looking at replacing the front hub on my newly acquired 1979 CJ5 . The holes where the Warn locking hubs mount have several bolts broken off and rusted welded inside. In addition, the holes have been damaged from heavy driving with loose bolts holding the locking hubs.

I was just going to buy replacement hubs with the Warn stud kit and swap them out. However, it has been recommended that I do a "Bronco" conversion and swap out the old hubs for 1/2 Ton Ford inner locking hubs. This would require a brake upgrade and a lot of added costs. Is it worth it? I have a Dana 44 upfront with 33" tires.

This Jeep will be used for hunting and beach cruisin...no mudding (just when hunting access is needed), rock crawling, or anything too crazy.

Any thoughts or suggestions? It the existing setup good enough?

Also, it has been suggested that I upgrade my brakes from 7/8" rotors to 1 1/8" rotors...thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

Jeep never put a 44 in the front of a cj. Do you know what your 44 came out of?

No idea. The guy I picked up the Jeep from put the Dana 44 on it. With a little bit of digging...I might be able to find out.

I would be of the opinion that to do that much damage to a Warn hub you would have to work at it. This sounds like a whole lot of work and expense for not a lot of return.
I would be interested to know where the Dana 44 axle with disk brakes came from as well. :cool:

Let me clarify a little...the Warn hubs are fine...it's the hub the the Warn hub bolts to that has the problem. My buddy replaced the Warn bolts with basic zinc hardware store bolts and they broke off - then rusted.

See the picture below:

In that case I would suggest you do the wheel bearings as long as you have it apart.:cool:

Let me clarify a little...the Warn hubs are fine...it's the hub the the Warn hub bolts to that has the problem. My buddy replaced the Warn bolts with basic zinc hardware store bolts and they broke off - then rusted.

See the picture below:

I had that problem as well. I was running 36" Swampers with a Grade 8 bolts, Locktite and studs. Nothing woud stay tight. Now I've got a Dana 44 narrowed with Ford disks and internal hubs. No problem now.

If you're not pushing it too much, you could try just new hubs. They're not to expensive. Napa should have the studs you need for a lot less money.

Good luck!

Looks like a 70s Dodge full time 4x4 :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom