replacement radiator??

replacement radiator??

jeepnewbe

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79' CJ7 304, 3 speed, 33 x 12.50 x 15, all stock with fiberglass tub
I picked up a radiator in good shape from a salvage yard. I'm not sure of the age or how it just been sitting. The question i have is should i use CLR, another cleaner or nothing at all to clean it out before i replace. this sounds like a good idea to me, but new to this and not sure if its hard on it or not worth the time.

I would not use and cleaner I would take it to a radatior shop and have them clean it and pressure test it. my 2 cents.

^^What he said^^

A radiator shop can deep tank it to clean it up and fix any leaks. You may need to replace the core if it is too corroded.

problem with a used radiator is knowing if the channels are plugged or not
corrosion, pollution et al can plug the insides of the unit without it showing to the outside.
Radiators shops have tubs to soak them in chemicals so they can be cleared. These chemicals you are not going want to handle yourself.
Now the best thing about used radiators is they have cores and reservoirs that are metal and can put up with more heat and brazed to repair.

I would bring it to a professional myself as I would want as many BTU transfer as possible. But then that is just me, some guys accept a lot less.

I threw the old one away and bought new one from Spalding Auto parts in Spokane. It's all metal 3 core and looks and works perfect. $140.00

I threw the old one away and bought new one from Spalding Auto parts in Spokane. It's all metal 3 core and looks and works perfect. $140.00

Old radiators generally have brass reservoir tanks and unless cracked can be salvaged and re-cored. I’d never pitch one.

I read an article once that said all radiator cleaners and flushes do is give you a warm fuzzy feeling. Take it to a professional.

As an option you could use straight vinegar (5% acetic acid). Fill and let sit for a few hours then drain, flush with fresh water until clear, and then flush with a couple tablespoons baking soda (neutralizer) per gallon of water followed by two more flushes with fresh water.

You said it's in good shape. I'd give it a good cleaning and put it in the Jeep and run it. If it needs professional work you'll know it pretty quick. Doesn't take long to take it out. Some of us accept a lot less, but why spend money you don't need to spend.

I did about the same thing Rock Auto parts around $140 or $148 brand new.
Radiator shops here charge about $40 to clean one out and then its more if it has a leak.

When my cj's rad went in the uk I couldn't get a direct replacement so I took it to a rad builder. They unsoldered it and put in a replacement core. The fitter told me that the cooling efficiency of a radiator decreases with age to the point that at 5 years old it requires replacement. In other words a rad has a finite life. Thinking back on how some of my cars died, at least a couple went because the engine overheated and the head warped. So if it it were me I wouldn't go near a second hand rad.

I also need a rad for an AMC 360 cj and don't know which type of rad and cooling to get. It currently has a four blade fan, no viscous coupling and a leaking rad. Time for an upgrade. Any advice please?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom