Replacing 76 cj5 Ignition tumbler

Replacing 76 cj5 Ignition tumbler

Mike

Jeeper
Thanks
Hi, Jeepers! I'm just about done with a restoration, and had to remove the tumbler. I got the old one out (it's a simple GM tumbler) and bought a new one. What's the trick to sliding it in, mine seems like it isn't keying quite right, as the tumbler won't go clear back to "lock," thus not popping the pin up high enough to lock the steering wheel, or not letting me remove the key. Seems like the tumbler has to be in a specific position when you put it in, so that the little white tab on the bottom of the tumbler can collapse...I'm stumped, and don't get stumped too often with mechanical stuff!! Can anyone help? Thanks fellow 4-wheel drivers!

Hello Mike and welcome to our site! :chug:

If you have replaced a GM lock before - it's the same thing. The columns (as you stated) are GM.

Have you tried sliding the lock in while positioning the switch in all four positions? Accessory, off, Accessory 2 and Run? I can't remember if you need to be in one of those positions or not but could be worth a try.

I don't mean to highjack this thread but I also have to replace a lock but I don't know how to remove it

What year is your jeep? if it's a 76 to 83, the ignitions are all the same and are retained with a clip, not a screw. I can't put my finger on John Strenk's article for this, but it's worth searching. Somewhere, he's put it back up online, but you'll have to search for the right link. Great step by step and pics.

Hello Mike and welcome to our site! :chug:

If you have replaced a GM lock before - it's the same thing. The columns (as you stated) are GM.

Have you tried sliding the lock in while positioning the switch in all four positions? Accessory, off, Accessory 2 and Run? I can't remember if you need to be in one of those positions or not but could be worth a try.

Thanks for the help. Turns out my release lever was broken off flush and I wasn't seeing it (wasn't aware it was on this model).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom