Replacing motor mounts

Replacing motor mounts

thistle3585

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with '72 304 V8, MC2100carb,T150 trans, AMC20 rear diff with locker, Dana 30 front diff, Dana 20 Tr Case, Procomp Springs, Gabriel Ultra shocks.
I need to replace the rear seal and the oil pan gasket and as I understand it, I will need to raise the motor a bit to get the pan out. So, I decided I might as well replace the motor mounts while I'm in there. What is the best way to raise and hold the motor? I don't have an engine lift but I do have a fork lift. Is that overkill? Can I just jack it up from underneath? Do I need to remove the mounts from the frame, the engine or just undo the bolts on the pads? Having never done it I just hoped someone could walk me through it.

I never had to jack up the motor on my CJ5 with a 360 to take the pan off. If its a stock pan you shouldnt either.

Okay. I was told by several people that is what I'd have to do. I still need to swap out the motor mounts, as they are fairly worn, so I'd still appreciate the proper way to do it.

When I did my motor mounts I jacked it up with a floorjack under the skid plate on the oil pan.

Okay. I was told by several people that is what I'd have to do. I still need to swap out the motor mounts, as they are fairly worn, so I'd still appreciate the proper way to do it.

Im sorry it looks like I misunderstood your post. There are two different jobs being done here correct?

A. replace the rear main seal doesnt require jacking up the motor.

B. Motor mount replacement is pretty easy. It can be done with a floor jack as stated above. I dont think you need the forklift. :)

I used a floor jack as well. I also had to use a crow bar to move it around a little. I replaced the rear main seal. I pulled my oil pan and did not have to jack up the engine. When you put the pan back on get a Fel-Pro one piece, put some RTV on the pan, then hold it in place by running some zip ties through some of the holes in the pan. Not the corner holes. When you get it up there you can start the screws in the corners and then cut the zip ties and pull them out carefully. That worked great for me. As far as the rear main seal, it works well if you drop the crank shaft a quarter of an inch or so. Just a couple of hints to help out a little.

I got all the bolts out of the oil pan and it is hung up on the motor mounts. Do I need to remove the bell housing cover to get the pan off? I wondered if taking the cover off would allow me enough room to slide the oil pan back enough to then drop down.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom