Trans Replacing T150 with T18 Trans

Trans Replacing T150 with T18 Trans

JeeperChris

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ5, 258 I6, T150 w/Dana20, Dana30 front and AMC20 rear. My first Jeep! I'm looking forward to doing some minor upgrades and restoration while enjoying the ride.
From what I've read on the net it looks like a striaghtforward swap. Has anyone done it?

What could go wrong at each end? -Input shaft could have different splines... I don't know how the Transfer Case hooks to the Transmission so I am only assuming that it's the same for both transmissions...?

Any tips, tricks, threads I should read...?

Thanks

The T-18 would give you larger gears. The bell housing bolt pattern is the same on both the T-150 and the T-18 . The T-150 is nine inches long. The T-18 is twelve inches long. You'll also need an adaptor for the Transfer Case for the Ford T-18 , adding another inch or so of length. So positioning, Transfer Case shifter(s), and drive shaft lengths will be affected. Depending on which T-18 you get (Jeep or Ford), there are some other differences.

The seller doesn't know what it came out of but it was a 2x4 for sure, there is a tail on it.

1717977763010.png

I think from this bell housing it's a Ford.
1717977861317.png

1717977903257.png

1717977944709.png

Definitely a ford, you can tell by the top cover sticking off to the left, jeeps top cover will be rectangular.
The Ford T-18 also has a power-take-off (PTO) port on the passenger side of the case, jeeps right side, believe IH too.
If you can locate the production ID tag on the top cover, you will find a lettering code something like “D7T3...”. This might help id the year of Transmission . Ford uses the first letter to designate the decade (C=’60s, D=’70s, etc.) and the year is called out by the second digit.

One thing I would really like to do if possible is to know if it has a Granny Gear or not. I really don't want a Granny Gear 1st.

Make a mark on the input and output shafts with a sharpie. Put it in first gear and rotate the input shaft and keep count of the revolutions while someone is watching the output shaft mark. Once the output makes one revolution, stop and confirm how many the input turned. It will either be 4ish or 6ish. 6-1 is granny low

Make a mark on the input and output shafts with a sharpie. Put it in first gear and rotate the input shaft and keep count of the revolutions while someone is watching the output shaft mark. Once the output makes one revolution, stop and confirm how many the input turned. It will either be 4ish or 6ish. 6-1 is granny low
Thank you, that's briliant!!!

Well that T-18 was a bust, Granny gear. Was hoping for a diamond in the rough... oh well, next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sir are in the minority of jeepers wanting to T-18 swap ;). 4-1 is not the Transmission most are looking for

If the price was right, it may be worth buying it to flip or trade for the Transmission you want. Only downside is its setup 2wd at the moment and I'm sure the 4wd output shaft assembly cost a few $ from Novak.

You sir are in the minority of jeepers wanting to T-18 swap ;). 4-1 is not the Transmission most are looking for
Why is 4-1 not a good gearing? The alternative is the 6-1 granny gear that this Transmission has and I'm not looking for a granny gear, I want a normal 4-speed.

I’m looking to purchase a mid 70’s CJ7 . It has a t178 4 speed tranny. The owner is telling me that the 2nd gear synchro is going. He tells me that is pops out of 2nd from time to time. Is that an expensive repair? Thoughts!

I’m looking to purchase a mid 70’s CJ7 . It has a t178 4 speed tranny. The owner is telling me that the 2nd gear synchro is going. He tells me that is pops out of 2nd from time to time. Is that an expensive repair? Thoughts!
I've read of a lot of guys rebuilding their own manual tranies so I'm pretty sure it's a relatively simple process if you feel competent enough. For a shop I think the big spendature would be them pulling it out and putting it back in. If you pulled it yourself the actual replacing of the synchros would be pretty cheap.

Why is 4-1 not a good gearing? The alternative is the 6-1 granny gear that this Transmission has and I'm not looking for a granny gear, I want a normal 4-speed.
6-1 is preferred for offroading generally

As JeeperChris said, if you feel comfortable pulling the Transmission yourself, its not too much harder rebuilding the Transmission . Just dont be in a huge rush, and having a helper isnt a bad thing either. Novak Conversions is where I would start the information journey. novakconversions.com

The T-18 is a great transmissions. Had one in my ‘79 CJ5 . Definitely more desirable to have the lower granny 1st too. I would also consider getting that one anyway, as long as it’s in good shape and a fair price. Doesn’t matter if it’s 2wd, as the correct adapter will account for that.
Pull the top cover and take a look at the condition inside.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom