Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK SPORT
2004 TJ RUBICON
1979 CJ 5
1979 CJ 7
Does anyone have an opinion on the use of royal purple products? I have three jeeps and i use royal purple exclusivly in all of them. I am wondering if it is realy worth the extra expense at $9.95/quart. I do oil changes anywhere between 5000 and 7000 miles, and the old oil still looks fairly good. Personaly, i am impressed by the royal purple brand, but i want to get an idea of what fellow jeepers think about it. My jeeps are my life and they deserve only the best, but at about 60 bucks for the oil and $12.00 for a k&n filter, it's heavy on the wallet.oiiiio

I worked at Orielly for a year. Had a guy come in with a truck identical to mine. 04 dodge with a hemi. He work for the railroad and had 250K miles on it last year. Only time he put a wrench on it was to change the idler pulley. I asked about his oil, he said he ran castrol and changed it 5K miles. You can't beat that! Dodge runs castrol in their vehicles.

Using Royal purple is not a waste of money if you use in your engine however, it is a waste of money if you use it in your tranny, t-case or diffs.

Personally, I use Rotella 15-40 in my 360

I worked at Orielly for a year. Had a guy come in with a truck identical to mine. 04 dodge with a hemi. He work for the railroad and had 250K miles on it last year. Only time he put a wrench on it was to change the idler pulley. I asked about his oil, he said he ran castrol and changed it 5K miles. You can't beat that! Dodge runs castrol in their vehicles.

That is the brand of choice for me as well. Castrol goes in everything I own, lawn mowers included! I ran it in a Yamaha four wheeler for 12 years changing it annually. It had a brass washable oil filter in it. Thy filter hasn't even had one hole clogged, it was cleaned every time I changed the oil.

I had a Ford 1/2 ton for 7 years. V-6, 5 speed, and 140,000 miles. No leaks ran strong. And that was a 99 model!

Same goes for my 9 year old John Deere z-track mower. 550hours on it and not one leak! Good stuff is all I'm saying here. I kinda like it if you haven't gotten it by now.

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

So I'm going to be the odd one out here. I dont' have a favorite brand of oil even though I often use Valvoline I don't think the brands make a big difference unless you get into the really cheap brands. Even the generic brands are made my Valvoline or Quaker State.
If you are all recommending traditional motor oils (non-synthentic) The main differences are the additives. The lubrication comes from the base oil.
Now synthetic motor oil is much different and has better lubrication properties.
Look for the motor oil rating. Make sure it's got a rating of SM or SN from the American Petroleum institute.
91-5w30_donut.gif
TinmelineAPI.gif

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion on the use of royal purple products? I have three jeeps and i use royal purple exclusivly in all of them. I am wondering if it is realy worth the extra expense at $9.95/quart. I do oil changes anywhere between 5000 and 7000 miles, and the old oil still looks fairly good. Personaly, i am impressed by the royal purple brand, but i want to get an idea of what fellow jeepers think about it. My jeeps are my life and they deserve only the best, but at about 60 bucks for the oil and $12.00 for a k&n filter, it's heavy on the wallet.oiiiio

:)Royal Purple is a great synthetic racing oil...........but for street driven cars may be a little overkill......It's your stuuf so if your happy with it use it.
Petroleum based oils:
There really is only two Feed Stocks for Petroleum based motor Oils in the US........because of oil manufacturing standards they all meet the same requirements............one may claim they have an additive of some kind but that is just advertizing and labeling........fact is they all have the same ingredients but some companies just choose to call out the additive in the advertizing.............that info came straight from a chemist at a Shell oil refinery.

:D:D:D:D

While I agree with what was said about standards of oil manufacturing, there is a lot to be said about regular PM's. This will make or break an engine as I'm sure most will agree with me on.

As I have previously mentioned, I have seen my share of used oil coming out of engines. IMHO, Quaker State and Penzoil will not EVER be in anything I own!

Synthetic oil has taken the bad out of traditional oil breakdown issues and minimized deposits created by them as well. If the price of pure synthetic is too much to bear, the blended oil is pretty good too!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

While I agree with what was said about standards of oil manufacturing, there is a lot to be said about regular PM's. This will make or break an engine as I'm sure most will agree with me on

PM is the key. Regular changes.

I've switched everything to synthetic. Goes on sale for $5 a quart. You can run it twice as long. Works for me. The days of $.79 oil are gone. :D

synthetic is all i run in my truck and suburban, and there doing good so far one's pushing 6 yrs the other 15yrs

I use Mobil 1 full syn. in everything I have with a roller cam and Rotella 15-40 diesel oil in my flat tappet cams.
But as others have said I think reg. oil changes are a must.

Well, guess I'm really going to be different here...lol...I have been using the Wal-Mart Super Tech brand in everything I own for years now. A five quart jug is $12.58 and used it it everything, lawn mower...truck, SUV, 3000GT..etc. Never had a problem with any engine or with any engine actually burning or leaking any of this brand of oil. Now, having said that, I do use Lucas synthetic in my Yamaha V-Max. I only use the synthetic in it because it sees 9000- 9500 rpms on a regular basis ( warm weather that is ). The other vehicles may see 3000 or so at most.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom