scout II running gear

scout II running gear

Bob

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 cj5 304 3spd.
I am new to the jeep world with a 74 CJ5 w/AMC 304 3spd. supposed 30 fr. and 44 rear. I am planning on installing lockers, front discs, 4spd. I have scout II Transmission , transfer and fr. and rear Dana 44 w/ 4;10 and front disc. Is my current front axle desirable or should I go w/ scout axles.

Use the Scout axles. CJ owners look high and low for Scouts just for the sake of those axles. Those are much better axles than what you have. Dana 44 is a common axle but when you find them in a junk yard they are usually on a pickup and are too wide for a CJ. The Scout axles will be an easy swap.

You say you already have a Dana 44 in the rear. What gears are in it? If it doesn't match the Scout axles it will be easier to swap out than to regear.
I would swap out both axles.

Last edited:
I bought scout axles as well for my CJ8 project. Two issues with the front end. The springs need to be outboarded on the frame and also the knuckles need to be cut and rotated for proper caster. The work is well worth it for these lite and strong units.

I bought scout axles as well for my CJ8 project. Two issues with the front end. The springs need to be outboarded on the frame and also the knuckles need to be cut and rotated for proper caster. The work is well worth it for these lite and strong units.
I have heard of people that have only moved the spring perches. I guess they made a compromise between the ideal U-Joint angle and the ideal caster. Best not to make compromises.

there is nothing "wrong" with what you have. need more info to make a call on this, what is your plan for ratio, tire size, etc.
The 30 needs disks, no matter what but a lunch box locker in the front is a good thing.
Scout will widen your stance, thats a good thing but it increases turn radius.
Nothing wrong about a Dana 44 , Disks and a good selective locker is as good as it gets.
Not trying to talk you out of anything but there may be things you would be better spending large sums of money on.

It's true what kane and everyone else said about the scout 44.
IMO The Dana 30 in it now is fine if your not going to be doing any hardcore offroading.

One thing to think about though is that the scout axles are going to be a few inches wider than what you have now.

Wouldn't put a locker in a Dana 30 . So if you plan on doing that, make the swap.

I put Scout 44 axles under my 73cj5 with 4.09 gears in the front and 4.10 in the rear with arbs. There great axles. I narrowed mine down so its good on narrow trails. If your rockcliming I would stay with the factory wide 44's. They do need some work to adapt but worth the trouble! Good luck!

i'm with IO if there is nothing wrong with the Dana 30 then i'd leave it alone, i would only change it out if you were going bigger than 35" tires. and there is nothing wrong with putting a locker in a Dana 30 they hold up just fine with 35 or smaller tires and easy on the skinny pedal.

there is nothing wrong with putting a locker in a Dana 30 they hold up just fine with 35 or smaller tires and easy on the skinny pedal.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You would have to go easy on the skinny pedal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom