Separating trans & transfer case

Separating trans & transfer case

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
Can I separate them under the 5 or do I have to pull both & separate on the ground?

I also want to replace the mount. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Thanks CJ.

I have everything unhooked/unbolted. I have removed the bolts in the oblong plate to separate the tranny & Transfer Case . Should I have removed the 6 bolts that are in a circle instead of the bolts in the oblong plate? I haven't attempted to pry the two apart yet.
CD
302-690-9046

Last edited:
I believe the six bolts in the circle (that go through the adapter plate) go in from the front and have to be removed after you pull the case.

I circled the ones in the attached image I think you are talking about.

Ide pull the floor pan and remove the shifter.It usually gets in the way seperating it underneath as you bring the Tcase down.

Thanks CJ. I hav removed the wrong ones, but haven't separated them yet. Shifter is unhooked & bottom is moved forward. I think it will be out of the way.

It's out. Intermediate gears & gears that turn front driveshaft are shot. Tapping noise was when 2 of the gears that were missing teeth at the same spot meshed.

Here's hoping it goes back together just as easily as it came apart! :chug:

The novak parts are great. I'm rebuilding my Dana 20 and T-150 .
It's taking a long time as I'm cleaning them and painting the cases.
Good luck with your rebuild.

Hello kobedog and welcome to the site! :chug:

Do you mean the drive shafts? The slip side goes to the diff. I found these pics for you.

p1000251medium.jpg

P4160224.jpg

Angle02.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom