Shackle reversal pros and cons

Shackle reversal pros and cons

daddyusmaximus

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ7, Just a rolling frame right now... will have Mopar 360, Torqueflite 727, D20, full size D44, Chrysler 9.25 with 4 wheel discs. SOA on Rubicon Express 1.5" YJ springs.
Who here has done a shackle reversal?

I was reading about it on a Jeep facebook page and was looking for some first hand accounts if someone is willing to share what is good or bad about their experience with this modification.

Who here has done a shackle reversal?

I was reading about it on a Jeep facebook page and was looking for some first hand accounts if someone is willing to share what is good or bad about their experience with this modification.

Can't offer any help on this one, but will be watching the responses.....

The feed back I have rec'd over the years.
Not worth the effort.
YMMV,
LG

I have CJ7’s with both.
4” springs,33” tires,standard shackle location, shackle cross brace
6” springs,35” tires,standard shackle location, shackle cross brace
Stock springs,37” tires, spring over,reversed shackles,3.5 inch shackle

Lg would be correct. imo not worth the effort. All three run down the turnpike at 80 mph with no wander at all. The 4 and 6 inch jeeps have no rub issues. The one with the reverse setup would rub the tires into the back of the front fenders under full compression ( tire moves backwards instead of forwards ) Cut fenders and tube flare it fixed. Another problem I’ve run into is sway bar install. Antirocks universal bar kit fits perfectly into the two big frame holes right behind the front bumper unfortunately the reversal kit on this Jeep uses the same holes for mounting the front brackets.

All three use ureathane bushings in front springs with rubber in the rear springs

A while back BusaDave9 wrote some great posts about his experience with the reverse shackles on his blue jeep. I know I learned quite a bit about them from his writings.

I've done shackle reversal.
It all depend on your intended use for your Jeep.
If my Jeeps see more offroad then on it gets SR.
SR helps the front axle glide over obstacles compared to the harsh shock you get from sua.
Early CJ5s came stock from the factory with SR.
Set up correctly you should be able to drive down the road just as fast and straight as sua.
SR is more work to setup
On road SR will dip in the front a bit when braking hard on corners.
I run both ways and that's my assessment.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom