shackle reverse

shackle reverse

mark123

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ-7
I am going to fabricate a new fram for my CJ7 and am wondering if I should reverse the front shackles or leave them they way they are. What are the pros/cons ? There must be a reason the factory maintained this setup from the CJ into the YJ/Wranglers.

I'll help search for "shackle reverse" - use this info for an educated decision.

Out of the many from the search terms - this thread stood out

There are many other threads, read them and make your decision (I don't like them). Hope this helps... :)

IMO
Shackle reversal opens a can of worms
If you want to deal with them then go for it
but it cost money to do so
the benefits of the reversal do not outweigh the cost of doing it correct

I'd agree with the above posts. It initially makes sense to have the movable end (shackles) both facing rear like most larger vehicles. But "larger" is the key word. Theres a reason why it was initially designed that way and in 44 years it never got changed. And then when Chrysler started making their wranglers they kept them that way too.

Thumbs up for highway speeds.

I like my SR, it's a M.O.R.E. Setup

I like my shackle reversal. Makes for a better ride and handling. I used a M.O.R.E. setup. I think if you can drive a jeep setup each way and compare, then make a decision. I had a few issues to work through, but I think it was worth it for me.

It depends on what you want to do with your Jeep. On pavement, SRS is beneficial to ride quality but there is an issue with nose diving during braking and a little more body roll during turns.
Offroad...in my opinion...stay away from SRS. It creates very unfavorable characteristics in certain offroad situations. Hill climbing and descention particularly. Physics of an SRS vs. stock location also affect the force exerted on an obstacle when climbing. the same aspect that makes it handle well on pavement works against it on rocks and obstacles. (forward movement of the axle vs. rear movement)

All the M38A1 Jeeps came with reverse shackels. A good percent of CJs at the time recieved the same military frame. The cons are mostly internet rumors of people repeating what they have heard. If it is a Jeep that primarily sees pavement, then it is probably one of the best possible mods to give you a better ride. If you were into hardcore wheeling where it might work against you then you would already know the answer and wouldn't be asking the question.

Welcome aboard Daryl.
I hate to disagree with your first post... but I will. The problem with srs on the pavement is it's tendency to nose dive on braking and cornering, as was said above. If your looking for ride improvement without safety suffering, the best mod to give you a better ride would be to switch to yj springs which have wider fronts.

There is so much pro-con info out there that this debate will never be solved. Pick one or go with it or find someone running the set-up that you want and whose opinion you trust and pick their brain or drive their rig for yourself.

In my experience I think that the SR's "issues" are over-played. The nose-diving is usually an indication of weak or inadequate front springs & stock rear drums that are barely adequate on a stock jeep IMHO. As most people doing SR seem to have significantly modified their Jeeps in other areas, too, a better set of springs -either a conversion to something else or at least not 30,40, 50 year old stock springs, are probably in place already to help with this.

I went with SR for my Jeep after I sought out a fellow Jeeper with a very modified & extremely off-road capable but highway-friendly CJ7 similar to my goals for my CJ7 and copied his ideas after spending seat time in his. The ride, steering response, and braking (with a disc/disc system to make sure the rear brake are doing their share of the load and keeping the a&& end down) is superior to me. Maybe the extended wheelbase of his aided in stopping nose dive? A more stock-ish jeep may not see the same benefits as I have no experience with such a SR and 30", 31", or similar tires and a small lift. But with 67" wide axles, heavy 38x15.5x16.5 tires on 16.5x12 steel wheels, 104" wheelbase, 6"+ of lift, and Chevy 1/2 ton springs SR should work as well for me as they do for the guy whose similar jeep I drove.

Welcome aboard Daryl.
I hate to disagree with your first post... but I will. The problem with srs on the pavement is it's tendency to nose dive on braking and cornering, as was said above. If your looking for ride improvement without safety suffering, the best mod to give you a better ride would be to switch to yj springs which have wider fronts.
Keep drinking the internet cool-aid. As someone who actually builds Jeeps I can tell you that you simply have no idea what you are talking about. You also have to have good springs and shocks. If you had ever actually driven one that is properly built then you would not show such ignorance.

Daryl I know your new around here but name calling and disrespect for other board members is not tolerated. You can disagree thats fine. A spirited debate is fine. Disrespect aimed toward other members is not. This is the only warning I will give.
Keep drinking the internet cool-aid. As someone who actually builds Jeeps I can tell you that you simply have no idea what you are talking about. You also have to have good springs and shocks. If you had ever actually driven one that is properly built then you would not show such ignorance.

If everyone on the internet stopped repeating what is supposed "common knowledge" on the internet then the internet would be an internet wasteland with tumbleweeds blowing through it and with no one left on the internet...:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom