show your flat paint pictures!

show your flat paint pictures!

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
ok so my jeep is black with the big monster logo on the hood as yall know. well i have been :drool: over some jeeps with the flat tan/kaki color and im having a hard time finding good pics of this and other flat colors. I have seen several people that have used Krylon spray paint but they dont post up close pics and i want to know how clean of a paint job one could do with this flat rattle can. I have painted a lot but not a full vehicle :/

POST THE FLAT PICTURES AND YOUR THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is not Khaki but is flat green. I tried to use Krylon spray cans but wasnt happy with the texture, or streaking look. So I bought a 15.00 spray gun from Harbor Freight and mixed Rustoleum paint and sprayed it. Im happy with it
10o20d4.jpg
20j2zvq.jpg
rcvbyr.jpg

Mine is not Khaki but is flat green. I tried to use Krylon spray cans but wasnt happy with the texture, or streaking look. So I bought a 15.00 spray gun from Harbor Freight and mixed Rustoleum paint and sprayed it. Im happy with it
10o20d4.jpg
20j2zvq.jpg
rcvbyr.jpg

That is sweet! I have looked at those guns, and I am currently using rattle cans on mine and know what you're talking about with the striping effect.. How did you mix your paint? I'd like to try this myself!

rattle canned a goot portion of my front end, defin a stripping issue, and obvious low quality job... That 15.00 spray gun looks like a good option :D

I'll paint mine to match my boat when it quits desiring new parts every trip... ;)

Jeepn47.jpg

pretty dirty on both pics... :D

IH6.jpg
:chug:

I just bought a 2 gallon bucket from ACE Hardware where I also bought the rustoleum paint from. Poured two 1 quart gloss hunter green and one 1 quart red rusty metal primer in the bucket and stirred until it was mixed good. On the back of the rustoleum it tells you not to thin it more than 5% or something like that if you are spraying. So I mixed a little acetone in until it was a little thinner than how it came. The three quarts cost me less than 25.00. I put on tow or three coats and still have enough left for 2 or 3 more coats, which I plan on doing after winter is over. I have never painted anything before and didnt practice prior to spraing the jeep. Its extremely easy and looks great. Its holding up really good to. I also sprayed the hardtop with satin Black Rustoleum as well with the same gun. Any questions feel free to ask. Ill post a pic of that in a few

here is the hard top sprayed the same way
vpkcr4.jpg

Well it sure looks good! I was talking to my father-in-law today about how you did this, and he reminded me that he had gotten me a paint sprayer for xmas a year or two ago! :eek:LOL, I was a little embarrassed that I'd forgotten, but now when I get home next month I can shoot it myself like you did!:D

Here's mine right now, I mocked up a tire and took some measurements, I was a little curious about how it will sit. This is my son, who's been doing most of the work, standing with it and it will sit about 2-3" higher yet at the back end. We are almost ready to re-assemble as of today, and have some odds and ends yet to paint, but I think it's looking pretty good!
View attachment 6930

View attachment 6931

View attachment 6932
:chug:

I've posted all these before....Im pretty sure...100% rattle canned, Krylon camo system. Couldnt be happier with it, no runs, no lines, came out flawless.

th_September2011152.jpg

th_JimmysFile011.jpg

th_camo9a.jpg

th_camo10a.jpg

th_DSCF4281.jpg

Well it sure looks good! I was talking to my father-in-law today about how you did this, and he reminded me that he had gotten me a paint sprayer for xmas a year or two ago! :eek:LOL, I was a little embarrassed that I'd forgotten, but now when I get home next month I can shoot it myself like you did!:D

Well I dont think you can beat it for 30.00. If you dont like it sand it back down and try something else. The only issue you may have is finding the color paint you want to use. There is alot of colors to choose and mix but that could get expensive buying quart after quart in order to mix colors.

im liking it!!! keep them coming.

84cjseven what preparation did you do? such as sanding ect

im liking it!!! keep them coming.

84cjseven what preparation did you do? such as sanding ect

I started by taking off all the easy stuff like fender flares, spare tire holder and exterior lights. The less you have to mask off the better. Anywhere there was rust i grinded it down the clean metal and skimmed over it with bondo. I had read that as long as a magnet would still stick over the bondo its not to thick so that was my guide. Usually it was just almost like skimming over drywall. A very thin coat was enough to cover and then I would obviously sand it once it was dry. The two little square angle kind of pieces under the windshield between the door and front fender on both sides were rusted out so i made new ones from some sheet metal bought at LOWES. Welded them in with a 99.00 Harbor Freight Welder. I touched up all the small dents and dings with bondo and then sanded the whole tub down with 250 grit sand paper. Wet seemed to work better. After the whole tub was sanded down I used, I think, Krylon rust preventative red or brown spray can primer so that everything has the same base coat color. Let that dry and shot the jeep with my homemade mixture of Rustoleum. So all in all not alot has to be done. The biggest pain was masking off all the windows and fender wells.

here is what i started with so you can see it wasnt the best when i bought it
xpovwp.jpg

This is after body work.

9giphz.jpg

This is after it was painted and dried for a couple hours.
10zzjt4.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom