Slave Cylinder Leaking

KcSolomon

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1970 Jeep CJ5, V6, Manual
Hello everyone,

I am new to jeep-cj.com. I have a 1970 CJ5 I bought off craigslist back in November. I got a steel on it. The person I bought it off of was in the process of restoring it but was not doing a very good job. they had the electrical system completely wrong. Turning on the right turn signal made everything blinked. I got the electrical system mostly corrected in one afternoon. A little carburetor adjusting and It runs like a top.
There are leeks everywhere on my jeep; oil, brakes, power steering and now clutch. It was working fine untill I was on my way home from the Gym this morning. I was pulling up to a red light and could not get my jeep out of gear I had to shut it off to keep from rolling out into traffic. When I started it back up I had to fight it back into gear. I was only a half mile from home so I was able to drive the rest of the way home without shifting out of second gear.
When I got it home, I opened the hood and found the clutch reservoir empty. I took my truck down to the quick stop and bought some DOT3 break fluid and refilled the reservoir. I bled the slave cylinder till I got a steady flow, topped off the fluid and drove the CJ to work. I made it in fine but when it came time to come home it started getting hard to change out of and into gear. By the time I got it home I could not get it out of gear and had to shut it off to stop.
The reservoir had only leaked down 1/4 inch. I climbed underneath and found the boot on the push rod very loose and when I moved it there was a lot of fluid that came out.
Should I replace the slave cylinder, the boot, is their a o ring in their I can replace? What is the next step and what should I pick up at the parts store? Is their anything I should look at or change while I am under there?
I am good with electronics but know very little about mechanics. I may be calling things by the wrong name. Please let me know if I am.

Thanks

There are kits to rebuild them, basically a gasket kit. The problem is the inner cylinder tends to pit causing frequent rebuilding. If you can take it apart, inspect the walls of the inner cylinder for pitting and crown-wear like you would see in an engine cylinder. If you dont trust your judgment, take it to someone who will inspect it for you and tell you if it is worth rebuilding or just replacing.

For future reference, the master cylinder is rebuildable in much the same way...I've done mine a few times, but always ended up just purchasing a new slave...they aren't that expensive.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom