Slipping from 2nd to neutral

Slipping from 2nd to neutral

alpha6

Old Time Jeeper
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7. Lifted 1.25; nutter bypass; MC2150, Team Rush Upgrade with a MSB A6 Ignition Mod.
This problem started after a 1.25 in. body lift. When shifting into second, it would hit the edge of the floorboard and would slip back into neutral while driving. Thinking the lip of the floorboard was keeping it from engaging properly, I trimmed up the floorboard so that in gear the shifter doesn't touch. But the problem still exists. I haven't pulled the floorboard up, but I am suspecting that it has something to do with the linkage being torqued somehow from the lift that isn't allowing it to engage properly. Anyone had a problem like this before or know of a solution. I will be pulling it apart on New Years. :cool:

The body does move around a bit, the motor and Transmission mounts can cause problems also. This can cause the Transmission or Transfer Case to kick out of gear when the shifter clearance hole is not large enough. So the way I see it, you have to keep the body mount bolts tight and the motor mounts in good shape, plus opening up the shifter holes can help. All this occurs when the suspension flexes and bouncing off road. When the oem type motor mounts sag it can break one of the bellcrank pivots for the clutch linkage.

New motor mounts...I will look but everything else I see hasn't been changed so I bet they are the originals...great...I was looking forward to getting new mounts. :D

The body does move around a bit, the motor and Transmission mounts can cause problems also. This can cause the Transmission or Transfer Case to kick out of gear when the shifter clearance hole is not large enough. So the way I see it, you have to keep the body mount bolts tight and the motor mounts in good shape, plus opening up the shifter holes can help. All this occurs when the suspension flexes and bouncing off road. When the oem type motor mounts sag it can break one of the bellcrank pivots for the clutch linkage.

All of these mounts were in a serious state of :censored: on my CJ. The PO told me he had to replace the Clutch linkage about a year or two ago because it snapped. It was all working when I got it, but I am wondering what replacing those mounts will do to everything else......Might straighten it all up! I can see how that could have led to your current issues. I would look there as Torxhead has suggested.

It doesn't look like a hard replacement. Just jack one side of the engine at a time and replace...how hard can that be. :rolleyes: I can also see how this would effect things down the drive train.

You might try taking the cover off the floor and thaking it out and driving it to see if it still does it. If it is just the shifter hitting it it will not do it with it off and then you will know you just need to do some trimming.

You might try taking the cover off the floor and thaking it out and driving it to see if it still does it. If it is just the shifter hitting it it will not do it with it off and then you will know you just need to do some trimming.

That is the smartest thing I have heard today. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: why do the obvious things never seem so obvious.

That's why I was so intrigued by the alarm thread yesterday! I might need to report a robbery?

Wait, they just stacked it all in the corner and put the tub in the barn!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Very good idea. Way less involved than what I came up with. Experience will always trump enthusiasm!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

I know how you feel :) glad I could help

Another indication of tired motor mounts would be the engine beginning to sag to the rear. The distance between the back of the valve cover and firewall gets pretty close and the clutch linkage bellcrank is not perpendicular with the frame rail putting excess load on the pivot arm. The best replacement motor mounts I have seen are the "Bomb Proof" ones made by M.O.R.E., although quite expensive.

I am looking forward to reading what you discover. I recently purchased my CJ5 and the Transmission will jump from fourth to neutral unless you keep your hand on the shifter. I took the cover off to discover the shifter length (ball to finger) was incorrect. After replacing this I thought I had fixed the problem until last night, did it again. I believe my next step will be to remove the top cover and take a look at the input gear.

The motor mounts are good so I am just trying to figure it out as I go. Good luck and keep us posted.

So I finally fixed the problem...for some reason, the boot was not giving enough and it was just enough pressure to pull it out of gear. I placed it into second, lined up the boot with it and drilled new holes and attached. Problem solved. I also trimmed up the cover plate while I had it off just to make sure it had about a 1/4 in of space while in second. Thanks for the suggestion of taking the whole cover plate off and seeing if the problem was still there Mtnwhlr...this worked and it worked fine so I am not pressed to replace my motor mounts.

#alpha...glad you got your problem resolved. I removed the Transmission cover on mine, however, it continues to jump out of fourth.

To cold to be working on it today -7 so I will continue to watch the Broncos.

Hope you can figure it out. I'll be glad when it warms up into the the teens. :D

So I finally fixed the problem...for some reason, the boot was not giving enough and it was just enough pressure to pull it out of gear. I placed it into second, lined up the boot with it and drilled new holes and attached. Problem solved. I also trimmed up the cover plate while I had it off just to make sure it had about a 1/4 in of space while in second. Thanks for the suggestion of taking the whole cover plate off and seeing if the problem was still there Mtnwhlr...this worked and it worked fine so I am not pressed to replace my motor mounts.
Glad to hear you got it fixed :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom