Small chainsaw????

Small chainsaw????

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
It has been a very long time since I've worked on or been around a chainsaw. Lately I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a small chain saw along for the occasional tree down across the trail. I'm looking for advice on a decent small saw. When looking at saws there are a whole bunch of them that I've NEVER heard of and none of the ones that were around when a chainsaw was an everyday part of my life. About the only one I'm familiar with is the Stihl and the Husqvarna. Both are or were well worth their rather hefty asking price, but for relatively light, very occasional use I'm wondering if some of the less expensive offerings would work well enough. Essentially I'm open to any advice you can offer.

As with everything else you usually get what you pay for. So for me all my saws are Stihl. It seems like the people with the off brands always have problems after they use them a few times.

Hedge, Echo is another brand to consider. I think carrying some of the larger tools can be a bit much, especially with the extra gas and safety items, unless you are sure you are going to need that stuff. I carry a 2 ft. bow saw for just in case stuff along with tow strap, clevis, chain, and snatch block to get that stuff off the trail. If it has already fallen, hopefully you can just drag it.

Stihl and Husqvarna is the way to go. As stated, you get what you pay for. BUT! A homeowner quality saw sounds like what you're interested in (correct me if I'm reading you wrong).

I have a couple of professional sized Husky's that cost mega bucks and a couple of homeowner style Husky's I use for limbing and cleanup. For occasional use clearing trails and off road roadbeds, I think a Husqvarna 440 or 435 would fill your bill, maybe even a 240. All three are rather light weight and are decent quality saws that'll last you many years if you take care of them. Lowes sells all three, if I ain't mistaken. Compare all three to a similar sized professional Husky and you'll see there's at least a $200 difference!

Saw tip: Use regular unleaded gasoline that does NOT contain ethanol. The plastic internals will appreciate you for that!

Yeah, I'm thinking about the little guys for several reasons. One is the size, I don't want to carry around a lot of junk that I'll likely never need. Two, I don't want an environmental cop of any type thinking that I'm out to harvest wood. A big professional quality saw might give the wrong impression. Three, naturally the cost of ownership could get in the way. I don't want to loose a valuable saw to a thief. Then there's noise, I imagine a home owners saw will be quieter than a professional saw. If I need to fire a saw up the last thing I want to do I create a scene in the woods.

When I was young it seemed like there was always a saw in my hands, but that was long ago and another life. So, even though it's appealing to get a MANS saw the reality is I simply don't need a saw with a 4' blade anymore.

Torxhead - you are right, I will have an ax, shovel and rope along so a saw isn't likely to be a need, but you really never know.

hdgapeach - Thank you, that is exactly what I need. I'll take a look at those models. For fuel I've been considering Aviation fuel. I won't need a lot of it and from what I understand it lasts far longer than any modern day fuel. As we all know, fuel left in the tank is death for motors, especially small ones that don't get used a lot.

Here's a question - Do saws still need mixed fuel or do they run an oil injector now similar to motorcycles?

The saws I mentioned are mixed 50:1.

You're right. Smaller ones are a whole lot quieter than the pro ones. I use ear plugs AND over the ear muffs when I use the big ones.

At my age, all I use the pro saws for anymore is felling and bucking. The smaller saws do the rest of the work. My back can't put up with the weight like it used to. No problems while I'm working the saws. It's the next morning when I try to get out of the bed to go find the motrin; that's what kills me :D.

Tommy - I read that article yesterday, but you know how it is, I'd rather hear from someone that uses a saw than some writer I have nothing in common with.

hdgapeach - The need to mix fuel was the impression I got from the article mentioned above. Muffs, who needs those stinkin' muffs and who needs to hear bird song either ... or little kids .... or your wife, what wife, mine hated the fact that I couldn't hear her every word and refused to help me hear her better. :(

Torxhead - When I was young Dutch Elm disease took all the grand old Elms that were around most of the farm fields where I grew up. After splitters became popular, some elms would split nicely, most others were awful to split, we cut a lot of elm, most if not many were so large to get them on the ground we'd have to box cut'em even with a 4' blade. Big trees, big saws.

Between my grandfather being a state forester, my father logging for tax money and the Christmas tree plantation we used a chain saw quite a bit. Our favorite saw was my grandfathers old blue Homelite, yes blue, before they were red. That was a great old saw, it would go all day. That was until I cut a maple that jumped off the stump and crushed the old girl. But the old gal refused to quit. While I was in the service Dad found another parts saw, used the red cases to replace the broken ones and the old girl went back in the woods. It always was a bad day remembered to see a red and blue hybrid out in the woods bucking up logs. The mistakes we live with later.....

Most saws die an early death from sitting around doing nothing. That old Homelite was proof positive that a well exercised chainsaw can last a very long time.

Last edited:
Just to clarify a little. I once cut pulp wood for a living and was handy with a saw for many years. If I was to get one now for what you are talking about it would be a Homelite. Easy to use, dependable and can take a licking. Used one for years without any trouble.

Tommy

I talk kindly about the Homelite saw, but that was +35 years ago with a saw that was built in the late 1950's, I have no idea about how they are today. Could be great, could be junk, it seems like every body that wants a decent reliable saw leans toward Husky or Stihl. Even with those two brands there are the good and the bad. To make life easier I have a very scientific approach. Just go with the one painted red. .... but even the Stihl is sorta red. :)

It might be worth checking to see what your local pawn shops have on hand. They should be able to let you take one you're interested in out back and fire it up. Sometimes you can throw out an offer and they'll take it.

I talk kindly about the Homelite saw, but that was +35 years ago with a saw that was built in the late 1950's, I have no idea about how they are today. Could be great, could be junk, it seems like every body that wants a decent reliable saw leans toward Husky or Stihl. Even with those two brands there are the good and the bad. To make life easier I have a very scientific approach. Just go with the one painted red. .... but even the Stihl is sorta red. :)

Jonsered is red! Used to be top quality equipment. Tractor Supply sells them now instead of the Husqvarna branded saws. I never got involved with the red saw brand because when I started buying saws, no place near me sold or serviced the pro "red Jonses", only the pro orange Huskys.

Years ago, Jonsered and Husqvarna were owned by an outfit named E-lux. I believe Husky pretty much owns Jonsered now. Husky now makes all decent or better Jonsereds, based on Husky models. In the 1960s and 1970s, before E-lux bought both brands, Jonsereds often made the better saws though.

I don't know if the smaller Jonsereds are identical to the smaller Huskys or not. Wouldn't take much by looking at one of each to figure it out. But I bet they're the same.

It might be worth checking to see what your local pawn shops have on hand. They should be able to let you take one you're interested in out back and fire it up. Sometimes you can throw out an offer and they'll take it.
Didn't think to check there after my little Stihl 017 was pinched out of my shed.:mad:
that was a good small saw you could use with one hand if needed, I had just put a new chain on it too. My old standby is a Stihl 034 I have owned for over 30 years and just keeps going no mater the abuse. Don't think id buy any other brand.

Stihl, Husky, Homelite and McCulloch are all good saws, but when I was looking for a small saw and looked around for a couple of days, laughed at the Chinese stuff at HD. I chose the Poulan "Wild Thing", Made in U.S.A. by Electrolux (they own Huskqvarna) and came with a plastic hard case and wrench, and at 42cc and 18" it was the best bang for the buck. Now they are only 40cc.
I have had it 4 years and still works like new, best $120 spent for a $200 retail saw.

It is not red, it is lime green and purple.

Guess you would say I'm relatively brand loyal.
15670980064_66a9e0a4b9_b.jpg

The bottom one used to be my Jeep saw-the old top handle 015. It was nice and compact. The second from the bottom is the current Jeep saw, an 017. The rest are MS180, MS260, MS460, and the ancient 051 (that still cuts like a banshee and has a 30" bar-just not the saw you want to pack around all day).

I still have to come up with a decent saw holder that will fit on the tire carriers. I hate having them in the bed due to the oily mess that is highly contagious and if you use the hard case, it takes up half the bed. For the occasional backcountry tree, a MS170 or 180 should work fine-just use a real chain on them.

Guess you would say I'm relatively brand loyal.
15670980064_66a9e0a4b9_b.jpg

The bottom one used to be my Jeep saw-the old top handle 015. It was nice and compact. The second from the bottom is the current Jeep saw, an 017. The rest are MS180, MS260, MS460, and the ancient 051 (that still cuts like a banshee and has a 30" bar-just not the saw you want to pack around all day).

I still have to come up with a decent saw holder that will fit on the tire carriers. I hate having them in the bed due to the oily mess that is highly contagious and if you use the hard case, it takes up half the bed. For the occasional backcountry tree, a MS170 or 180 should work fine-just use a real chain on them.
When I say "buy the red one", orange counts as it's sorta red. :)

I'm big on buying at Pawn shops. Unfortunately a Pawn shop saw is likely to need some professional attention, as in a gummed up fuel system.

Yeh, I would be very careful buying one in a pawn shop. It would have to start really well and have some compression. Even a new bar and chain cost about half what a new saw sells for. It doesn't take buying too many parts for a small saw before the cost of the parts WAY exceeds the value of the saw.

I've found Bailey's to be one of the more reasonable parts sources and their rebuild kits are decent quality. Great place to buy files.
Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

I have 2 chainsaws I end up using about 3 times a week. They are both 20 inch. I could kick myself for making that mistake. I want a little 14 inch top handle chainsaw like this:
stihl-ms201t-35.2cc-arborist-top-handle-petrol-chainsaw-2944-p.jpg

If you think you could use 2 chain saws get one 20 inch or bigger and a little top handle like the one above. I saw a professional tree remover cut down a tree with one of these. He was up in a cherry picker and used that one saw to cut up that whole tree that was 30 feet high. It was just zip zip zip and he cut up all the branches into either firewood or small branches to turn into chips. The trunk was bigger than 14 inches but he didn't switch to a bigger saw. He just went around it with the top handle saw. I was impressed. I talked to him about his saw and I'm sold. It's so small and with the top handle you can use it with one hand.

It would be great in a CJ. When I go into the mountains in the spring there are lots of fallen trees. I bring a hand saw because both my chainsaws are too big for my CJ.

This is what I would recommend IF you also need a larger 2nd chainsaw. I have a lot of gamble oak and other small trees behind my house. If I had one of these top handle chainsaws I would use it for 98% of my cutting. They are great for trimming trees and clearing trails.

I have 2 chainsaws I end up using about 3 times a week. They are both 20 inch. I could kick myself for making that mistake. I want a little 14 inch top handle chainsaw like this:
stihl-ms201t-35.2cc-arborist-top-handle-petrol-chainsaw-2944-p.jpg

If you think you could use 2 chain saws get one 20 inch or bigger and a little top handle like the one above. I saw a professional tree remover cut down a tree with one of these. He was up in a cherry picker and used that one saw to cut up that whole tree that was 30 feet high. It was just zip zip zip and he cut up all the branches into either firewood or small branches to turn into chips. The trunk was bigger than 14 inches but he didn't switch to a bigger saw. He just went around it with the top handle saw. I was impressed. I talked to him about his saw and I'm sold. It's so small and with the top handle you can use it with one hand.

It would be great in a CJ. When I go into the mountains in the spring there are lots of fallen trees. I bring a hand saw because both my chainsaws are too big for my CJ.

This is what I would recommend IF you also need a larger 2nd chainsaw. I have a lot of gamble oak and other small trees behind my house. If I had one of these top handle chainsaws I would use it for 98% of my cutting. They are great for trimming trees and clearing trails.

I would love to have one of the toppin' saws, but good grief!! Them little puppies are so expensive!! All the ones I've looked at are considered "pro" saws and priced accordingly. I've never found one that wasn't considered a professional quality saw.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks