Media
Resources
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Smart Cars, dumb trucks
I just spent two days at the North American International Auto Show in detroit, and it was depressing.

image.jpg

The problem this year is that many companies are terrified, broke, or both. I assumed that these struggles would give automakers the fury of a badger that's been pushed into the corner. Get them hungry to fight for another day. When in fact they seemed whipped into bad economy depression. At least that was how it felt. The theme this year was green electric hybrid everything, and truthfully I'm all for it. I think we need more fuel efficient vehicles, but it's just gong to be hard to sell them this year if the price of gas stays low. It's almost like some of the auto makers are missing the bird in hand while hunting the two in the bush. Jeep did have a few electric concept cars, but none were actually 4 wheel drive! Meanwhile Volkswagen showed off a diesel sports car! Now that is innovation which can be realized today, not in a magical future world with supposed electrical outlets in every parking lot. How much is it going to cost to park your car and plug it in while at the movies or office in the future? I'd say keep messing with the batteries, but don't forget we really need fuel efficient vehicles that are still fun to drive (drive off road) and can take us long distance out into the bush, desert or woods without multiple jerry cans. Give us small diesel trucks, small performance 4-cylinder 4x4's and don't mess with the big trucks some of us need for daily jobs around the farm, construction site, and for towing our little rigs to the trails.

image.jpg

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...

I firmly believe that the future will be in clean and efficient DIESEL power. Lets face it, While electric cars MAY have some position for Limited use in heavily congested areas, the technology is just not there to make it work on any reasonable scale. Diesel has proven itself to provide better power with less fuel, and greater engine life. Working to reduce emissions would seem to me to be the basis for a completely new direction in cars and trucks. Germany is all ready getting on point, and I hope like hell the US gets in the game ASAP!

It's funny...I can clearly remember having this conversation well over 30 years ago. Here's a link to the guy I 'studied' under (studied meaning me constantly around asking stupid questions and getting underfoot). At the time I thought he was a little extreme...I was sticking Chevy's into anything with a frame and Tony was teasing me about using the one of his spare diesel's he usually had back in the shop. Tony's son, Mike, came home with a FJ40 one day and despite my urging to Chevy power the thing, we ended up dropping a diesel in...damn thing was impressive off road while getting well over 30 mpg.
WILCAP HISTORY PAGE

Thanks for the link to that article Sham. What a great story, i read every word.

As for whether a diesel is viable or not or the road to the future, I have to say yes also. I mean, look how far they have come in the last ten years or so with the introduction of computer controls and such. No more is it all mechanical control.

Look at the incredible power achieved buy these things and then the relatively good mileage. I see trucks at the strip running in low 10's and one drives over 160 miles to get there! Just a simple turn of the knob and he was ready for the road again. Now, set up one for mileage and power, and not so extreme as what he was getting (HP wise) and you have the best of both worlds,

Thanks for the link to that article Sham. What a great story, i read every word.

As for whether a diesel is viable or not or the road to the future, I have to say yes also. I mean, look how far they have come in the last ten years or so with the introduction of computer controls and such. No more is it all mechanical control.

Look at the incredible power achieved buy these things and then the relatively good mileage. I see trucks at the strip running in low 10's and one drives over 160 miles to get there! Just a simple turn of the knob and he was ready for the road again. Now, set up one for mileage and power, and not so extreme as what he was getting (HP wise) and you have the best of both worlds,

That's the key beauty behind diesel technology. They work. From big rigs that haul 40 tons across country non stop, 7 days a week, to the little 3 cyl forklift's, that sit in warehouses, work long shifts, and last for 20 years. The ability to tune these fantastic contraptions to tailor them to specific needs is like no other technology we have now. Mileage, power, longevity, and economy all in one package, and available with the push of a button. What are they waiting for?

Exactly, with the technology available now they are without a doubt the future.

Yes - before they were black smoke belching beasts but now, you can be right next to one and not even know it is a diesel. The computer has really changed the ICE around and the diesel has somehow been neglected. I really think in a few more years we will be amazed at what the diesel can do.

I wish they would have said something about the sandrail Lloyd (Tony's other son) and a few of us built. Corvair motor, alcohol fuel injected with a turbo. The intake and injection system was a totally one off created by Lloyd...with Tony laughing at us in the background. Maybe two dozen trips into the dunes and we only got it to run right once...most scary fast thing I've ever been in.:drool:

As far as diesel tech goes....we're getting there. The main issue to over come is the publics reluctance to commit to vehicles powered in this manner (also our own refinning is currently designed to produce more gas rather than diesel fuel..Europe takes the opposite approach). VW has produced a wonderful diesel product for many years yet they're well aware that they haven't even begun to capture the favors of the American buying public. Audi has an A1 3 cylinder diesel that got over 75 mpg in a mileage test conducted in Australia last year. BMW will soon release their 3 series with a 50 state compliance diesel...I believe MB released their own version last year. Unfortunately the Big 3 are sort of caught between a rock and a hard place...they can't afford to bet on diesels with their current financial problems....shame they're forced to follow rather than lead at this point in time. I personally expect that to change as they reorganize themselves and eventually come to terms with what appeals to the American buying public. I believe that we're going to see some truly amazing things coming out of Detroit in the next 5 years.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom