smog equipment?

smog equipment?

trw

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-7, 1995 YJ
well yes, my 78 has the smog equipment on its AMC 304 .

through my research though, smog wasn't standard until 79, and only California 78s got smog equipped, assuming this info is correct, would I be breaking the law if I removed this smog equipment on my 78 seeing that it is here in Texas now and not in California?

It doesn't even work right now actually, and the smog pump is seized up solid and there's no belt running it, and it passed inspection like this too (dealer had it inspected before I bought it from them).

You really need to check with your inspector (give them a call) but I bet you can remove it.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?
  • Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
  • Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks