So I have been researching whinch ropes and..

So I have been researching whinch ropes and..

Kane

Full Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-8 Restomod Scout axles 4 wheel disks, 258, ax15, D300.
I want to know what people who own them or have used them think. I like the fact that you take about 30 pounds of dead weight off the front end of the Jeep. I know they are more fragile in the sense that you cannot just rub them up against a tree when winch but it seems like this has been the tugger of choice lately.

So, Scam fad marketing tool or.... actually a decent way to go?

What say you?

Allrighty then. Those are good answers from that link. I know where my $100 gift card is going towards.:D

I like synthetic winch rope however, make sure you follow the mfg suggestions on maintaining it, cleaning and keeping covered, etc.

Take it from a sailor maintain your rope/line.

I will never go back to cable
I have abused my winch synth cable for over 4 seasons doing adopt a trail work and have given it a ton of abuse, the thing just keeps coming back for more. Guys side by side with me using metal have had to replace those lines already, fragile ropes are not, they kick <-BAD WORD->. I would say properly cared for they will last a long time, I use a wrap of the temperature protection against the drum and have a abrasion sleeve on the working end that I can pull down to any surface it needs to go against. I ave had the thing buried in dirt, run over rocks and it just keeps on kicking. I use winchline.com and they will set up that line however you want

I like my rope, I'll never go back to steel cable.:)

Awesome. I can't Waite to get it then.

Who makes synthetic in lenghts longer than 100 ft. that's all I ever see.:confused:

if you have a marine store around you go get the blue steel synthetic rope and make your own length

Rock climbers trust their lives to ropes - even after a 30' or greater dead fall. That's pretty good in my book.

You can buy climbers' ropes in standard 300' lengths.

Static Rope for Rescue and Rope Access | For Pros in Rescue, Fire & Rope Access

JustRopes.com :: Static Climbing Ropes - Static Rope

PMI E-Z Bend Sport 11mm Static Rope at REI.com

Sterling Rope :: Static Climbing Rope :: SuperStatic Rope

New England Ropes KMIII (Static Rope)

...etc...

1/2" static rope is rated at about 10,000 pounds. Static rope doesn't "give" much; it's nearly as stretchproof as cable. Dynamic rope, on the other hand, "gives" a LOT. Dynamic rope is what a climber will use as a safety rope because it acts like a bungee and won't kill ya when you hit bottom.

Static rope is not the same as winch line though. Even though a static line is low stretch, it still holds energy, and will release it when It breaks. I use a Sterling 10mm, and anything over 30' I can feel it give under tension.

Last edited:
Second that "interesting"! I'd never have thought that UHMW polyethylene would have a higher tensile strength than low-carbon steel...

Second that "interesting"! I'd never have thought that UHMW polyethylene would have a higher tensile strength than low-carbon steel...
I find that surprising myself. Do any of you that are using this have problems with the line getting hung up in the next wrap when under pressure?

I find that surprising myself. Do any of you that are using this have problems with the line getting hung up in the next wrap when under pressure?

Not anymore than cable does.
The best part is if it breaks it's not going to kill you.
The line is so much more user friendly,
you really don't need to wear heavy gloves as you do with steel cable.
Pulling it out is easier as it's lighter.
And it doesn't want to kink up on you like cable does.
I really like my amsteel blue, although other people in my club
have some different brand lines that are just as good.:chug:
Sound like i should be a salesman.:eek:

One thing I just can't get past, though... is the thought of buying a winch & rope for AMC 150 % of the purchase price of the Jeep. That just doesn't seem right somehow.

I have yet to get into something I can't get back out of with a good proof chain, a length of tow strap, and a come-along.

I have yet to get into something I can't get back out of with a good proof chain, a length of tow strap, and a come-along.

I did that to much when I was young, I'm getting old and lazy.
I even bought a log splitter a couple yeas ago.:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom