Solve my emmisions puzzle?

Solve my emmisions puzzle?

73 CJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5 inline 6 with a 3 speed
I have a 73 CJ5 with a 238 and a carter one barrel. I have the solenoid vacuum valve, the vacuum from the distributor and two from the canister.
Is there any way to make this work without the EGR valve?

I have had trouble with the Jeep wanting to stall when coming to a stop, or sputtering when accelerating.

I will be uploading some pics as soon as I figure out how to.

Thanks for the help, ya'll have always helped me in the past.

I have a 73 CJ5 with a 238 and a carter one barrel. I have the solenoid vacuum valve, the vacuum from the distributor and two from the canister.
Is there any way to make this work without the EGR valve?

I have had trouble with the Jeep wanting to stall when coming to a stop, or sputtering when accelerating.

I will be uploading some pics as soon as I figure out how to.

Thanks for the help, ya'll have always helped me in the past.
I wish I had the answer but I don't. I had the carter YF 1 barrel and pulled most of my hair out trying to make it run good but eventually gave up and went FI, I needed to meet Ca. emmission req's but maybe you can get away with out? I too had issues with the EGR and dissabled it (prior to FI)to see what happened and it ran better without, there are plenty of people that say thats a no no and you must have an EGR but I am not in that camp. Solenoid vacumm valve? Basically you need a manifold vacumm source for your PCV and charcoal system and a ported(above the carb throttle plate) source to your distributors vacumm advance. You also need to complete the PCV system with a hose from the air cleaner house to the valve cover.

I agree...I dont think any of the motors I've had in my Jeep had a properly working EGR, but then I wasn't relying on any emmisions.

Google "jeep carter carb stalling problems" there's to much info for me to give you a good link without blowing you up with info.

But it's usually a float issue or dirt.
Try using a vacuum line and run some seafoam thru the carb.
Use carb cleaner also to check for vacuum leaks.

I'm not sure that this is the answer for you, because you might need to follow emissions guidelines, but it worked for me. My father in law, who was a engineer for GM, helped me with this problem years ago. We took a 2bbl carburetor from a 1965 Chevy Suburban, re-worked the linkage, made it a manual choke, and re-jetted it. Then we tore out all the emissions :dung:. I haven't had a problem since. starts, idles and runs perfect. I'm also getting about 23mpg with 33's. My wife's 6 cyl mustang only gets about 17mpg.

Is there a "How-To" on how to properly remove the emissions :dung: on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 2-BB?

I have tried the search feature and didn't get much....Thanks!

If you are getting 23 MPG from your CJ you need to post some details. What ratio are your axles??
:cool:

I'm not sure that this is the answer for you, because you might need to follow emissions guidelines, but it worked for me. My father in law, who was a engineer for GM, helped me with this problem years ago. We took a 2bbl carburetor from a 1965 Chevy Suburban, re-worked the linkage, made it a manual choke, and re-jetted it. Then we tore out all the emissions :dung:. I haven't had a problem since. starts, idles and runs perfect. I'm also getting about 23mpg with 33's. My wife's 6 cyl mustang only gets about 17mpg.

My charcoal canister disappeared 35 years ago and never looked back. Chances are it is shot anyway.

An ERG on a 73, I don't think so. Maybe on a California model. How about a PCV?

The exhaust had a flap valve in the exhaust manifold that helped it warm up. They like to stick.

Is there a "How-To" on how to properly remove the emissions :dung: on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 2-BB?

I have tried the search feature and didn't get much....Thanks!

I do not think that there is much to it...use 1 vacum hose from the carb to distributor (ported vacum), 1 vacum hose from PCV valve to base of carb, and 1 hose from valve cover breather to the air cleaner. Thats it :D as for the flap valve in the exhaust manifold most people either yank it out or weld it in the open position. I might have forgotten something but that is everything that you need for your engine to run :chug:

I took out my canister and the Jeep runs great but I have a problem with it trying to die when press the brakes to stop at a light or stop sign. I read somewhere that that can happen when the canister filters are bad but am wondering if this could be caused by having no canister at all.

I think it makes sense if there is too many fumes in the carb with no where to vent out too, sort of a flooding issue maybe?

Any thoughts,

LOL I think that the fuel in your carb is uncovering your jet....you might need to check your float level :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom