RI CJ5

Jeeper
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5 with a 1980 AMC 360.
4" lift 33" Coopers.
Fiberglass tub
I vave a 1980 CJ5 with a 1980 amc360 from a grand wagoner. Went to change spark plugs and found a sleeve on #8 plug. Was able to get it off put it on new plug and get it back in but now it's leaking exhaust from around the plug. Is there something to put on threads to stop leak or do I retread with a larger sleeve or something else? I won't reserve myself. I'll have someone else do it but if I can just get a new sleeve same size an reinstall I will.
Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'sleeve' and how it is leaking exhaust. The only way you can have exhaust blow by a spark plug is if it is not tight.
What is that? A pic perhaps...

Sounds like a thread repair alright. Helicoil, Timesert, or other. Depending on the type used, may need to replace it. The ones designed for a spark plug with a crush washer can usually be re-used because the new plug has a new crush washer on it. The ones designed for a taper seated type plug may need replacement when a new plug is installed and the taper perhaps doesn't exactly match the prior plug that was removed. It also recommended to use Loctite on the repair.

Time-sert_types.jpg

Maybe a spark plug non fouler

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom