SR4 transmission rebuild question

SR4 transmission rebuild question

stoney bones

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7

258ci, mc2100 ,SR4 trans, dana 300 Tcase, dana 30 front, amc 20 2 piece rear
Well i had long post typed out but it was boring me so i knew it would bore all of you. so, to sum it all up for you....

for a complete beginner, what is the difficulty rating for rebuilding this transmission myself? Time estimate?

local trans shops are quoting me 600 - 1000 for them to do. novak has fresh t18 with adapter for 1580.

just trying to decide my best option. if i can get away with rebuilding this sr4 on my own for the cost of a kit it would allow to be more patient in waiting for a nice used t18 on craigs list and potentially save a butt load of cash.

what do you think?

1 Go to Atlanta GA craigslist,
2 go to the autoparts section and search jeep CJ7
3 look for an add from Cartersville GA.
4 His name is Jody and he parts out lots of 7s
5 He has a T176 listed for $350
6 He will sell you the correct driveshafts too.
7 Good Luck

The shops will usually quote you a much better price for a "bench" rebuild where you remove from the jeep and take it to them to do then reinstall yourself... Thats what i did...

If you've got the cash and time, the 18 would obviously be a lot nicer :cool:

Dont know much about the sr4 but most tranny rebuilds ive read are easy, with the right tools:drool:
:chug:

the $600 - $1000 quote was if it was already removed lol

Are any gears broken?

not sure, havnt peered into it yet. there was a good bit of grinding after the clutch went out and first trying to re-engage gear while moving.

All of the parts are available from Crown. The gears are the most expensive parts, About $100 each. Hub assembles,bearings, seals and gaskets are inexpensive. It would be impossible for an accurate estimate without knowing what parts you need. As a bench job, worse case would be around four hours labor.

I bought a CJ7 in December it had a SR4 tranney. When I started to drive it it wouldn't stay in 2nd. I took it to a shop and it took 5 tries and $1700.00. This all took about 7 weeks and 4 removals from the Jeep. The shop was a reputible shop that has rebuilt tons of transmissions. By the time I got the thing back I had decided that I would never trust that SR4 so I had found and bought a T18. I drove the Jeep with the SR4 about 500 miles then had the T18 installed. I have kicked myself a hundred times because the money I spent on that SR4 was good money down a rat hole.
T18 is a super tranny and I love it.
I wish I had known then what I know now, save up do it right the first time.

PS....I have a really nice SR4 with 500 miles on it since it was rebuilt 5 times. It does work great now. Want to talk?

Last edited:
thanks for the offer but no. i was only considering rebuilding it if it could be done super cheap. i dont really care for the sr4.

ive decided to put the CJ into project mode so today im going to look at a couple XJ's to buy as a daily driver. will more than likely end up with the T18 from novak.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks