Build Thread Starting my build

Build Thread Starting my build
Thanks
I bought this jeep the other day. Someone had already done a 4.0 swap. The PO that I got it from bought it in May14 and didn't know much about it except that it drove until December and then due to a fuel issue it stopped running.

I looked it over quick, the frame had been repaired, the body has some rust but it also has been patched in the past.

Well I looked this am and came up with some issues.

1. If your using a renix motor do you still need the CPS. Because it's not on the bell housing or the harmonic balancer!

2. I can't find then VSS, the speedo is still a stock CJ going into the transfer.

3. They did mount an electric fuel pump and inline filter on the frame. Does anyone know what the pressure should be?

4. Believe it or not there is not a fan mechanical or electric! Thank god it's cold up here.

Thanks in advance
19879de3c2ff76d393eb51638fd2a97f.jpg
01c546faf93a0d2e9438ca3450dd2e4f.jpg
3df76effe6ec7c6223054fd7110ace4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I found the fan they mounted it in front of the radiator and covered the whole grill with some ugly aluminum screen. I took that off, and found the fan. Now to figure out if it works!

Today's plan is to get the fuel pump hooked up, charge the battery and see if it will start

I got the fuel pump hooked up and all mounted on the frame. I will need to build a better bracket, to protect it. But that's where the PO had it. It's turning over but not starting

I also cleaned out some old stereo/cb wires , to clean up that rats nest. I'd really like to have a new harness for the engine bay, it's a rats nest

I got the engine to run today, but any load on it caused it to stall out. I'm going to put the pressure tester on it this afternoon. anyone know what I should be looking for on an 87-90 4.0 with stock injection. I think it's that fuel pump can't handle the demand. It some mini electric pump from o'reillys that the PO bought.

So popped the fuel injection pump tester on it......5psi! So I slid under to look closer at the pump the PO had put on and that I finished hooking up.

Anyone think they may know why it won't stay running?
0f1129701173e86d73c4e0dbcf194676.jpg

At 5 p.s.i. That sounds like a fuel pump designed for a carb'd engine. Don't most F.I .engines require around 30 p.s.i.? Did you google that Mr Gasket part number?

Pete yeah it is for a carb engine. I just laughed. Any recommendations for a pump? That HESCO kits expensive

Pm the member on here Thisguyyouknow. He knows all about the fuel injection stuff. I Think you could go with anyone to replace a stock Yj unit though. Googling it tells me you need a pump that will push 30 to 40 p.s.i.

You also want to run FI rubber fuel line the reg rubber fuel line can't handle the added pressure.

E2000 pump, got mine on rockauto for $62. I think they're from late 80's, early 90's ford trucks.

I put in the e2000 pump today,
It is loud! And it seems to be surging I put the fuel pressure tester on the rail and it bounces between 35 psi and 80!

I think that the fuel filter may be restricting the flow, any thoughts?

You should see constant pressure on the rail at idle or when the key is cycled to on due to the fuel pressure regulator. Looking at your pictures it's on the front of the fuel rail with the vacuum line going to one end and a fuel line coming out of the other (which I'm guessing is the return line, I've never worked on or owned a 4.0). If pressure is fluctuating look at this first, even with a partially clogged filter you should see good pressure with the key cycled on. Under load is a different story.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom