starting problems - help please

starting problems - help please

dave123

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
I've always loved this site, great advise and quick. I just bought a 1967 c10 with the 250 1bbl engine and the 4-speed.

I've tried a couple of the forums on the vehicle, but the people there aren't as good as you guys, so I would like to run my problem by you, as the vehicle is not that different from the old Jeeps.

I'm used to electronic ignitions and aftermarket Holly carbs. I love the truck, and want to keep it as stock as possible, so if you experts can help me get it running, I would be very thankful.

I will try to give you the info I have (only had the truck 1 day, and spent that getting the brakes to work).

The previous owner told me that the carb was rebuilt only a few months ago, it looks clean, that much I can see for sure. So I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to start, and it does not like to accelerate, especially from a start. I usually have to juke the gas quite a bit as I get moving to keep it from dying. In order to keep it running (at idle), I have to have the choke out a little (manual choke). The carb has only one vacuum port, and it's hooked up to the distributer (most likely the original, complete with points).
The truck will only start if you shoot it with a bunch of started fluid (when cold). When warm, things are much better for starting, almost normal. The truck does do ok cruising, as long as you stay soft on the throttle it seems to run smooth. But it ran out of steam at about 55mph. But then again, the choke was partially out (stupid me, didn’t realize it).

I'm thinking that probably the ignition is involved with the issues I'm having. And the accelerator pump? Anyway, not sure where to start, I don't want to just start turning screws and make things worse. I know nothing of setting points and dwell, and adjusting this carb. I only see one screw, so I'm thinking maybe the rebuild was not done right (float level, accelerator pump). Gonna check for vacuum leaks tomorrow and check the plugs, and the points for obvious problems, but I was hoping that someone could steer me to a walk though that might teach me how to check and set the ignition and carb. Heck, I don’t even know how to check the dwell!
I’m open to an HEI, but don’t think it would be wise to start bolting on stuff when it’s not running right, I will most likely just make things worse. Also, I haven’t checked the vacuum, compression, timing, etc. yet. A few years ago, when I sold my old Jeep CJ and bought a new Wrangler, I gave away my vacuum gauge, compression tester and timing light thinking I was done with old stuff, but alas, I have been bitten again, so it may take a few days to scrounge up the tools I need.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough in explaining what is going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Update. I took apart the distributer. It looks to be in pretty good shape. The plugs look used, but pretty good, a nice tan color, no oil, all gapped at 30. I cleaned up the distributer, but haven't had time to try to start it again.

I cleaned it with carb cleaner, thinking that may be a mistake. It's dry now...

I found a vacuum leak at base of the carb, tightened carb, but still have a little jump in RPM when I spray it with starter fluid, so I will replace it.

Wow! lots of info, and lots of potential problems! If I understand you correctly, when the truck is cold and you accelerate, even with the choke partially pulled out, the truck wants to die unless you pump the accelerator. Let's assume that the PO told you the truth, and the carb was completely rebuilt including the accelerator pump. I'm not sure what your carb linkage looks like, but many accelerator pump linkages have several holes to choose from. If the linkage rod is in the wrong hole, you might not be getting enough "squirt" from the pump when the engine needs it. Try locating the rod to a hole that gives the pump more travel.
You will probably want to check the float level. I am not sure what it would be, but a quick search of Google will probably give you the correct procedure.
As for dwell, you need a dwell meter! Imagine that. :poke: Just kidding:D. You can adjust the points the old fashioned way. Take off the cap and rotate the engine until you get the points on the high point of the cam, and adjust the gap to .020" using a feeler gauge. If the points are not accessible through a door on the distributor cap, and the points do not have a screw that uses an allen wrench, then the points were not designed for adjustment with a dwell meter. You have the old style points, and a screw driver will be used to loosen the points slightly and adjust the gap the same as above.

I pretty much agree with what "Bass" had to say. If that carb was rebuilt, than the accelerator pump was not adjusted correctly and probably not the float either, or maybe not even rebuilt. Somewhere online there has to be how to set up a points style distributor and overhaul and correctly adjust a carb. You might find a helpful video on Youtube or "Eric the car guy". Make sure you put in a new condenser also.

thanx for the replies. I've decided to do some other work, electrical, hoses, stuff like that before I try to start it again, I found a fuel leak and I know I have vacuum leaks.

The distributer does not have a window or any way to adjust it while running, I'm considering HEI, but gonna try with this unit first.

I will heed your advice.

dave

Thought I would drop an update. I fixed the problem by replacing the 250 with a 350.

Runs better now :)

Here are before and after pics.

P.S. There is a good chance that it was bad gas causing the problems. I removed and drained the tank before starting the v8 because the truck had been sitting. The gas was dark orange and smelled bad. Still, I'm glad I went with the v8.

Attachments

• tr3.jpg
    tr3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7616.jpg
    IMG_7616.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 87
:drool: Sweet! I love our CJ's, but seeing your truck with a SBC living under the hood makes me want to get started on a 47 International sitting out in the barn that I have similar plans for. :chug:

Wonder if somedangbody could have put somedangthing in your gas tank?:confused:

LG

Through the years I have read about many of the 258 issues being solved by the installation of a v8 engine. Thanks for the update.

Wonder if somedangbody could have put somedangthing in your gas tank?:confused:

LG

With this crappy gas we have now days it doesn't take long for it to go bad and if you run it through your motor it will cause all kinds of problems. Like stuck valves and bent push rods for starters.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks