Status of Transfer Case?????

Status of Transfer Case?????

vinjack98

Jeeper
Thanks
Ok just bought a 75 CJ5 with an amc 360 v8 with 3speed. I have the Dana 20 . What is an easy test to see if the 4 wheel drive works. When I tried shift into what I thought was 4 high didnt feel anything in the shifter. Should I? And do I need to know anything when locking and unlocking hubs.

Thanks

Ok just bought a 75 CJ5 with an amc 360 v8 with 3speed. I have the Dana 20 . What is an easy test to see if the 4 wheel drive works. When I tried shift into what I thought was 4 high didnt feel anything in the shifter. Should I? And do I need to know anything when locking and unlocking hubs.

Thanks
There is normally a slight vibration in the handle. The easiest way is to use 4 Heavy Duty jack stands. Could you be more specific about your hub question?

And the down and dirty way is to lock the hubs - find a dirt road - put it in 4wd and floor it! Then look at your marks... :)

Do I need to back up after four wheel drive is disengaged after hubs are unlocked. I have heard guys talk about this?

Not necessary with manual locking hubs...

I am use to in other four wheel drives, that you actuallu feel the Transfer Case go into gear through the lever. I am not getting that on the CJ5
That Dana 20 Transfer Case and it's shift linkage are 34 years old... I'm sure it's not nearly as tight as when it was bought. One thing you can do is ride the clutch so you creep forward at a very, very slow speed (about 1/2 walking speed) and push on the lever. It will help it to shift easier.

Not necessary with manual locking hubs...

not always true, CJ. If you have been in 4wd on a hard surface or pavement, like coming off a trail, the gears could bind up and you would have to back up enough to 'unwind' the gears. not a real common thing to happen, but it does happen. Experience will teach you when and where to do this (like when the hubs refuse to turn out, or the shift handle refuses to move)

Hmm... I have never had that happen! :)

Guess I need to hit the trails more! Thanks for the excuse! :laugh:

as far as things to know about manual hubs, lock them in BEFORE you get stuck, and unlock them before you hit hard rock or paved surfaces.
keep them lubed up and free of water or contaminates so they will work right.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom