Build Thread SubRMC's CJ7 Build

Build Thread SubRMC's CJ7 Build

SubRMC

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 - 4.2L L6, Weber Carb, Lifted with 33" Swamper Thornbirds
I recently purchased my 1986 CJ7 . I will chronical the restoration in this thread.
It is (currently) a maroon-ish color. The doors are a slightly different color and are obviously off of a different vehicle.
The passenger door has no outside handle or a window crank. The window mechanics are sitting in the cargo area.
The brake lights and turn signals don't work. The headlights and taillights do. A new brake light switch is sitting in my garage.
The brakes are very weak and there is brake fluid leaking onto the driver floorboard. I have the new master cylinder for installation.
There is a decent amount of rust in the floor. All new floor pans are on order and will hopefully be installed soon.
There is (as suggested by a member of this forum) an electrical short in the dashboad. A new speedometer cluster is on order.
I will post more pictures as I have them.

cj7.jpg

Hmm....its already got dirt, rust, grease and a nice oil puddle under it, so why do you need to make improvements?.....seems perfect already.:D

Last edited:
^^:laugh:
My guess is the rust holes are allowing water in and it's washing mud off the rest of the rust!

J/K, looking forward to the resto pics.

Sorry for the delay in getting the pics up. We've been fighting a stomach bug in the house and my motivation to take and upload pictures was minimal. I could put a description for each, but most of you understand what you're looking at already. The rust holes between the seats look pretty bad, but not unmanageable. The floor pans in the front were put in by the previous owner. They were never "installed", though. He used the bolts that hold the side steps on to keep the pans in place. All of the pans are getting welded hopefully next week. I'm considering Monstaliner for both the inside and outside. These pictures were taken with my phone. I will take the future pictures with an actual camera, so you can expect better quality.

2012-09-26_17.16.31.jpg

2012-09-26_17.15.10.jpg

2012-09-26_17.15.29.jpg

2012-09-26_17.15.45.jpg

2012-09-26_17.14.06.jpg

2012-09-26_17.14.22.jpg

What the heck is up with the seatbelts. That doesn't look safe at all.

What the heck is up with the seatbelts.

I don't intend to keep them. They are the five-point harnesses that the previous owner had installed. They are designed so that the two shoulder portions cross in the back and this is accomplished by them attaching to the opposite side bar.

what is mostli ner or what ever that you were thinking of for the floors. i am looking for something for my floord after the new metal goes in place for my 82 CJ7

New floor pans started going in this weekend. Here are some shots of the passenger front and back. I'll post more as I have them.

img_20121008_150358.jpg

img_20121008_150411.jpg

Looks good! My CJ7 is in alot worse condition. I may just get another body and install it next spring. nice work so far

Looking good.

New floor pans started going in this weekend. Here are some shots of the passenger front and back. I'll post more as I have them.

img_20121008_150358.jpg

img_20121008_150411.jpg

Did you use any kind of rust inhibitor before installing the new floor pans? My floors in my 78 are pretty similar to yours:(

Did you use any kind of rust inhibitor before installing the new floor pans? My floors in my 78 are pretty similar to yours:(

The pans and surface area were primed with rust inhibitor before welding. He had to remove a small amount of it to provide the surface area for welding. He went back around it all with seam sealer before the final priming.

Latest picture from the floor pan replacement. The welder found dry-rotted fuel line, so I'll have to fix that before putting the fuel tank back on. Also, the front reservoir of the brake master cylinder is now dry, so I've got some new brake lines to install before it's road ready again.

img_20121011_124500.jpg

img_20121011_124450.jpg

img_20121011_124437.jpg

Looking real good so far :popcorn:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom