Media
Resources
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Anyone ever swapped a T-18 fro a T-15 ?

I can get my hands on a pretty good working T-18 and since my T-15 is shot... I'm thinking about throwing it in my CJ instead of rebuilding the T-15 .

Novak Jeep Conversions - Home has about every thing I would need to put the spicer 20 on, probably just need to do a little drive shaft work - might even get lucky and not need to do anything...

Just looking for people who have some feed back or experience with this swap...

I don't know. But I ASSUME the bolt pattern will be the same, but CHECK IT FIRST.Here is what I do know. It is about 2" longer than your T-15 3 spd. It had a CRAZY number of diferent input shafts used not only by Jeep, but also by IH and Ford as well. It is a heavy sucker at AMC 150 lbs alone. It's considdered to be one of (some say THE) strongest 4 cog trannies ever used in a Jeep. Since there is a crossover in the years from your T-15 and the T-18 , I'll go out on a limb and say it would adapt for you. but I'm not that bright and have been known to be wrong. It and has been confused with the older T89, which is pretty much the same Transmission . I "THINK" the only diference is the main shaft support between the 2. If you can grab it at a good price, i would own it wether it fit or not, so lond as the case isn't cracked!

I picked it up yesterday evening. Novak has the correct input shaft for me and I need a new bellhousing. I'm not in the mood to scrounge around in my little home towns non existing junk yards so I'm ordering a new one from Krage MotorSports - Part Detail Page

I'm gonna tear it apart and clean it up... It is about 2" longer as you said and the Transfer Case spacer is another 2". That is going to shorten my rear drive shaft by 4"! I have a CJ5 so the shaft is already short as hell... I'll most likely cut and reweld my rear perches as the CJ has a 4" racncho spring lift already (with spring angle plates).

I'll keep ya updated.

I picked it up yesterday evening. Novak has the correct input shaft for me and I need a new bellhousing. I'm not in the mood to scrounge around in my little home towns non existing junk yards so I'm ordering a new one from Krage MotorSports - Part Detail Page

I'm gonna tear it apart and clean it up... It is about 2" longer as you said and the Transfer Case spacer is another 2". That is going to shorten my rear drive shaft by 4"! I have a CJ5 so the shaft is already short as hell... I'll most likely cut and reweld my rear perches as the CJ has a 4" racncho spring lift already (with spring angle plates).

I'll keep ya updated.

Youch That's a lotta lift to lose 4"!! Matching angles is gonna be tough, You may end up having to add CV's.

Youch That's a lotta lift to lose 4"!! Matching angles is gonna be tough, You may end up having to add CV's.
LOL - Tell me about it! On a 7 it would be nothing but on a 5 it's a whole lot!

I'm hoping I can get away with it. Maybe not.

I'm even thinking of doing allot more then just a Transmission swap... Maybe for a new years project go through the whole CJ and fix all the :dung: I have rigged over time.

Let the good times roll! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D Even on my 7 I wouldn't go over 2.5" on the springs, and about 1" on the body. the DL angles are nearly perfect, and the drag link is juuuuuust about flat. No bump steer, no wonder, no dreaded DW. it clears the tires with plenty to spare (32's) my ground ctearance is better than I need, and it drives like a slotcar on the highway:cool: No more big (ish) lifts for me unless It's going to live on the trailer and or the outback! I wish you luck! Keep up the posts on your wins/ losses.:chug:

I've pretty much decided to just tear this thing apart... Well after today at least! I was playing around (put the tranny back in over the Holiday shut down) and F'in forgot to set my rev limiter... I was in some mud and over reved it and floated a valve keeper out and did some damage to the retainer (see pic). Doesn't look like it messed with the valve though (whew! they're high $$ stainless tulip ones)...

As for driving, it's just a toy, AKA a place to spend money... Drivability it is NOT designed for... :)

Let the good times roll! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D Even on my 7 I wouldn't go over 2.5" on the springs, and about 1" on the body. the DL angles are nearly perfect, and the drag link is juuuuuust about flat. No bump steer, no wonder, no dreaded DW. it clears the tires with plenty to spare (32's) my ground ctearance is better than I need, and it drives like a slotcar on the highway:cool: No more big (ish) lifts for me unless It's going to live on the trailer and or the outback! I wish you luck! Keep up the posts on your wins/ losses.:chug:

I've gone way past your limit with about 6 inches of total lift on 36's, still rolling stock axles.:D when it gets windy i go up to sixty and i can feel everything, but I'd never be able to do half the stuff i do with that little of lift and tires. Oh did i mention it's a daily driver.:)

^^^yea that...mine has 6" lift with 35" swampers. I'd DD it if it would stay running long enough!

With the (stock) 3:73 gears, it will comfortably cruise the hiway at 80 mph. Of course it doesn't crawl the rocks that well (YET)

you guys are better men than me. I aint no expert by a LONG shot, but after 30 years of various Jeeps in a few configurations, i do know that you would'nt catch my old rump haulin down the highway at 80 mph in a 6" lifted CJ5 sittin on 35's!:eek: I have used them as trail rigs, and as Limited toolin around toys, but not DD's built like that. I had a buddy when I lived in NC that used to run a nearly stock CJ5 with 3" of lift, a little Dauntless Buick 225 V6 , and a T-18 , that would follow the monsters through just about any course they could offer up. Pure elegance, just a master behind the wheel. I learned alot about how Jeeps work from him, and started using less to get more. My 7 has had the same U joints in her for 10 years now, and the only carnage i have suffered in a looooong time was a twieked tie rod. My fault for picking the wrong line.

I agree CW... :)

Fortunately or some would say unfortunately - my job as an engineer plays a big part in what I do on my Jeep. I have access to many tools others don't such as CNC and high end CAD systems... I can't stand to do things even a little half assed... And being single with no children helps allot in the financial end also. :)

That being said... After more measuring I definitely see a CV rear in my future!

attachment.php

I agree CW... :)

Fortunately or some would say unfortunately - my job as an engineer plays a big part in what I do on my Jeep. I have access to many tools others don't such as CNC and high end CAD systems... I can't stand to do things even a little half assed... And being single with no children helps allot in the financial end also. :)

That being said... After more measuring I definitely see a CV rear in my future!

attachment.php

That looks like it should do nicely. As you know, that lift isn't really THAT bad, but used as a DD would just wear out stuff too quickly to be fun. I think the other posters may not have had the added stress of -4" in the drives that you have to deal with. It sure is nice that you have access to all those toys to play with. I'm more than a little jelous! Get lots o piks!

As you said... 4" of list isn't real bad, but add in the 1" body lift and the 5" or so of lost length of the rear shaft due to the longer T-18 and the Transfer Case adapter - a CV shaft is pretty good insurance. And after driving home a few times because I tore up the rear shaft just isn't fun with a posi front end...

Wow! That's really cool looking but just a bt out of the scope of what I want to do though... :D

Great looking ride!

there is one other solution to your predicament, it would make your 5 a great wheeler, can you say stretched

my%20jeep%20006.jpg

You got any more pics of this one? It looks like about what I have in mind for mine. I just can't seem to nail that "look".

Well, stated to pull apart the T-18 I got a pretty good shock! It looks like a bearing came apart, spun and really tore up a few of the shafts. Funny thing is is that it was in a running vehicle and didn't make hardly any noise before.

After totaling up all the replacement parts, bearings, sysncros, adapters and misc stuff I would need, not including my 'hassle' time for scrounging around scrap yards and such... I bit the bullet and ordered a fully rebuilt and speced Transmission from Novak. It has the correct input shaft, output shaft and other bits.

T18 & T19 Transmission Packages

I also ordered a twin stick kit for the Transfer Case while I was at it.

Dana 20 Twin Stick Shifter - Novak Conversions

attachment.php

It just isn't worth my time to try and rig up something right now... :)

Best part is I get to use my new centerforce clutch disk! The new Transmission has the same spline and shaft diameter as my old Transmission ... :banana: The Transmission and twin stick is going to ship on Friday and the bell housing, bearing arm and throw out bearing are already on the way!

Pics are soon to follow! :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom