Switching to YJ engine gear box etc

Switching to YJ engine gear box etc

MexCJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ5 '79
I have the opportunity to buy a complete YJ with engine in good shape plus all the rest. Now will it all fit into my CJ relatively easily?

The YJ chassis is rusted to pieces which is why I am thinking to use it as a donor....

Anyone done this swap before want to give me some advice?

If you use the entire wiring harness and fuel injection from the YJ, its feasible to install the engine. The Transmission and transfer cases will not work in your CJ for various reasons, the biggest two being length, and the front output of the Transfer Case is on the wrong side. The front and rear axles are not as good as what you have already, so swapping them is not a good idea either.

What year YJ? First years were the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and around 91 went to the 4.0 FI but with crappy Renix injection in first year of those. It also could be the 4 banger.

If it's not the early Renix injected 4.0 you would be able to make good use of parts off it, like the head and complete injection system plus the exhaust header. It would take above basic skills to retrofit the injection but lot's of info out there on it.

If it's not the early Renix injected 4.0 you would be able to make good use of parts off it, like the head and complete injection system plus the exhaust header. It would take above basic skills to retrofit the injection but lot's of info out there on it.

Thanks for the info. I will either fix the YJ frame, or part it out. Its only 1000US and I will probably get it for 800. I have someone to buy the aluminium wheels and tyres for 500 (with a set of old style YJ steel wheels/tyres thrown in), so it should be a good buy either way.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom