T-150 Upgrade?

T-150 Upgrade?

Orionarms82

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 Jeep CJ-5 (304)
Hi. I'm very new to this forum. This is my first posting on here actually. I have purchased 2 CJ5 Jeeps. One is a 1979 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in line six that runs and drives well, and the other was fully restored with a frame off restoration and a new fiberglass body that has a AMC 304 V-8. Both of these Jeeps have the T-150 Transmission and I was wondering if there is any way to change the Transmission out for one that has 4-5 speeds instead of 3. I'm sure that there is probably no easy way to do this without extensive modification, but I just wanted to ask all you guys with experience if there is some easy bolt on fix for this that I haven't heard of. Thanks for your time

I've also got a T-150 and was talking to someone about a T-18 swap. He highly recommended it and said shortening the drive shaft was also needed. I've also heard that the angle of the drive shaft may be a problem if you have a significant lift -- requiring a CV joint or other mods.

Hello Orionarms82 and welcome to our site! :chug:

Swapping in most transmissions that at one time were an option in a CJ is a common thing many of us do.

You mentioned 'extensive modifications'... Can you give us an idea of your fab skills. Most swaps require a few changes but by picking a common swap type - there really isn't that much fab work to do.

Typically you would have to move the crossmember and do a little sheet metal work around the floor pan cover area. You usually will need different drives shafts but that should be handles by a competent drive shaft shop (unless your feel like fabbing up your own (not recomended for the majority of street driven rigs)).

You may or may not have to swap out the bellhousing, throwout assembly, flywheel (not typically) and the clutch.

Almost everything (if planned correctly) can be bolt on! :)

Do you have a budget or are you just getting and idea of what is available?

Either Novak, or Advance Adapters is going to have the adapters you want, plus can give you info on lengths and such, either may have support hardware depending on the tranny wanted. Tom Woods Driveshaft can make you the custom shaft needed after the install.
A few web searches, a full credit card, some fabing up a few linkage parts or supports and you will be running a more modern tranny soon.
A rebuilt modern tranny plus adapters and than the fab work done at home should run between 2 to 3 grand for a quality install. Add a driveshaft and you are going in style

just checked it for you
AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to nv3550 tranny bell housing is just under 300
a used 3550 5 speed is around a grand rebuilt
adapter for 3550 to t20 tcase is just over 500
around 50 for the new tcase mount

IIRC, a T- 176 is just about a straight swap in.

You dont need any AA or Novak parts to put a Jeep Transmission in a Jeep

If you want an upgrade....Upgrade tha Dana 20 aswell.The Dana 300 is better,Lower Geared and More Adaptable for what you want.Driveshaft changes will be required with almost all Transmission swaps.

A T-18 is no better "ON ROAD" than a T-150 It provides the same Final gear ratio 1-1

An AX15/NV3500 I believe is what you want.The bellhousing for a 4.0 is the same as a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .So if it came behind a 4.0 it will work on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l No need for custom bellhousings.

AX15 Swap is about 500$ total

Either Novak, or Advance Adapters is going to have the adapters you want, plus can give you info on lengths and such, either may have support hardware depending on the tranny wanted. Tom Woods Driveshaft can make you the custom shaft needed after the install.
A few web searches, a full credit card, some fabing up a few linkage parts or supports and you will be running a more modern tranny soon.
A rebuilt modern tranny plus adapters and than the fab work done at home should run between 2 to 3 grand for a quality install. Add a driveshaft and you are going in style

Sorry but I dont think so.Your prices are way outta wack.You are finding custom prices for stock Jeep parts just cause AA or Novak sells them.I wish I was your mechanic.I could quote top of the line offroad shaps and a simple brake change would be 1k dollars.

Tell me why you would need a different bellhousing from an NV3500/3550 4.0 to bolt to a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

I think what Baja was trying to say is that you can put any Transmission in if you like. A non Jeep Transmission using good rebuilt parts will cost this much.

Of course IMHO - use what Jeep used and save the headache! :)

Yeah Ill agree but if we had money like that would we be driving 25+ yr old vehicles?[YES I know] Its easy to throw money at something but research is the time/money saver....Its also bad info for future people searching a possible swap.They will see the post and think it is 2k dollars to swap a Transmission when in reallity its not.We are all here for a common bond=Love of CJs and also making them better/Reliable[If Possible]

When I first started in a CJ7 The Mags were great......Forums are ten times more informative so lets give good info to future participants.Thanks

Hello Orionarms82 and welcome to our site! :chug:

Swapping in most transmissions that at one time were an option in a CJ is a common thing many of us do.

You mentioned 'extensive modifications'... Can you give us an idea of your fab skills. Most swaps require a few changes but by picking a common swap type - there really isn't that much fab work to do.

Typically you would have to move the crossmember and do a little sheet metal work around the floor pan cover area. You usually will need different drives shafts but that should be handles by a competent drive shaft shop (unless your feel like fabbing up your own (not recomended for the majority of street driven rigs)).

You may or may not have to swap out the bellhousing, throwout assembly, flywheel (not typically) and the clutch.

Almost everything (if planned correctly) can be bolt on! :)

Do you have a budget or are you just getting and idea of what is available?

I didnt read all of what you posted.........My Bad You said it in a nicer way than I can type.CJ is Correct Im Correct and Baja is Correct

Let's play nicely.:chug:

I believe his best overall choice, and the easiest most cost effective would be a T-176 / Dana 300 direct bolt in.

This thread is closed until I can clean up the absolute mess you all have made of this thread. One simple question was turned into about the longest running bickering thread I have seen over such trivial opinions on transmissions!

Shame on all of you! :laugh: I pretty impressed how everyone has such differing ideas but please start a new thread next time... :)

I moved all the posts (some are now in both the old and new thread) that don't directly answer the OP's question to a new thread titled -->>
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/variations-transmission-transfer-cases-swaps-what-best-1874/

To the OP. If you could answer my questions in post #3 and give us more info pertaining to the information I asked - we can make a great recommendation just for you! :)

This thread is closed until I can clean up the absolute mess you all have made of this thread. One simple question was turned into about the longest running bickering thread I have seen over such trivial opinions on transmissions!

Shame on all of you! http://

What took you so long:notworthy:

It's all good... I just felt that the OP could understand the info better if I did a little cleaning. The other thread has some VERY good information in it! :)

I'm gone for a few days and this is what happens ;)
I don't think any bashing was intended everyone was just trying to help fellow Jeepers out was all.

I have a 78 CJ5 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l w/T-18 4sp tranny w/6.32 granny. I swapped out the guts in my Dana 20 with dana 18 gears it is cheap to do this. Then I put in a Overdrive they bolt right up to the dana 18 it spits the gears you get a 8 speed instead of 4 and with the dana 18 you get 2.43 or 2.46 low instead of the Dana 20 2.03 low The dana 18 is an off center drive were the Dana 20 is center drive some guys angle there drive line and have no problem. I put a Dana 44 in mine. Hope this helps.

I have a 78 CJ5 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l w/T-18 4sp tranny w/6.32 granny. I swapped out the guts in my Dana 20 with dana 18 gears it is cheap to do this. Then I put in a Overdrive they bolt right up to the dana 18 it spits the gears you get a 8 speed instead of 4 and with the dana 18 you get 2.43 or 2.46 low instead of the Dana 20 2.03 low The dana 18 is an off center drive were the Dana 20 is center drive some guys angle there drive line and have no problem. I put a Dana 44 in mine. Hope this helps.

Clear & detailed pictures please.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom