T-176

T-176

jwill22

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
Would going from a T-5 to a T-176 be much of an upgrade? I think i might have damaged my tranny and Transfer Case while driving down the freeway.
Is it a simple swap?
I ask because there is a guy in my area selling a T-176 for $350 and $100 for an adapter plate.

Adapter plate? How about just the correct bell housing? The T-5 is longer than a T-176 so you'll need the front and rear driveshafts as well. If you cant get them from the guy your buying the Transmission from I know someone who has a set. :)

well the posts states as so:

Jeep 4-Speed Transmission (T-176 ) removed from a running 1980 CJ5 a few years back.
This is one of the better / stronger transmissions used in the CJ Jeep series in the 70's early 80's (do your research) mated to the Dana 300 Transfer Case .
The bell housing pattern for the T-176 is the same as the Ford (or the original bell housing & clutch fork can be purchased from me for an additional $100).
I also have the original adapter plate (that couples / mates this tranny to the Dana 300 T/C) and can be purcashed for an additional $125 ..... these are getting very hard to find now).

Recap: Transmission = $350.00
Bellhousing w / Clutch Fork = $100
T-176 to Dana 300 Adapter Plate = $125

Wll in my opinion the plate for the 300 should come with the Transmission . Id tell him Id take everything for the $450. Then all you need is the driveshafts.

I dont see that plate being worth that much. It comes with every other T-176 out there. :wtf: If its going to be a deal breaker and everything is in good shape Id give him $50 for it.

The T-176 is the best Transmission they put behind the 80s Cjs. Ive had a few and like them. Their definately stronger than the T-4 / T-5 .

Wll in my opinion the plate for the 300 should come with the Transmission . Id tell him Id take everything for the $450. Then all you need is the driveshafts.

I dont see that plate being worth that much. It comes with every other T-176 out there. :wtf: If its going to be a deal breaker and everything is in good shape Id give him $50 for it.

The T-176 is the best Transmission they put behind the 80s Cjs. Ive had a few and like them. Their definately stronger than the T-4 / T-5 .
:agree:It sounds like to me that the guy is trying to squeeze a little more money out of the Transmission .

Wll in my opinion the plate for the 300 should come with the Transmission .
Damn right! If he removes that plate what would you mount the Transmission on?
He takes off a crucial part of the Transmission and says "Now if you want to use this Transmission you'll have to pay me an extra $125). If you don't get that adapter you will have to go to a junk yard and they won't take that adapter off a Transmission to sell it to you.
Without that adapter you couldn't use the Transmission in a 2WD drive vehicle. The output shaft of the tranny is only to mate up to a Transfer Case .
BTW here is the T-176 with the adapter on the rear
t176s.jpg
Click here for more info on the T-176 Transmission : http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/#post97093

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom