T-176

T-176

jwill22

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
Would going from a T-5 to a T-176 be much of an upgrade? I think i might have damaged my tranny and transfer case while driving down the freeway.
Is it a simple swap?
I ask because there is a guy in my area selling a T-176 for $350 and $100 for an adapter plate.

Adapter plate? How about just the correct bell housing? The T-5 is longer than a T-176 so you'll need the front and rear driveshafts as well. If you cant get them from the guy your buying the trans from I know someone who has a set. :)

well the posts states as so:

Jeep 4-Speed Transmission (T-176 ) removed from a running 1980 CJ5 a few years back.
This is one of the better / stronger transmissions used in the CJ Jeep series in the 70's early 80's (do your research) mated to the Dana 300 transfer case.
The bell housing pattern for the T-176 is the same as the Ford (or the original bell housing & clutch fork can be purchased from me for an additional $100).
I also have the original adapter plate (that couples / mates this tranny to the Dana 300 T/C) and can be purcashed for an additional $125 ..... these are getting very hard to find now).

Recap: Transmission = $350.00
Bellhousing w / Clutch Fork = $100
T-176 to Dana 300 Adapter Plate = $125

Wll in my opinion the plate for the 300 should come with the trans. Id tell him Id take everything for the $450. Then all you need is the driveshafts.

I dont see that plate being worth that much. It comes with every other T-176 out there. :wtf: If its going to be a deal breaker and everything is in good shape Id give him $50 for it.

The T-176 is the best trans they put behind the 80s Cjs. Ive had a few and like them. Their definately stronger than the T-4 / T-5 .

Wll in my opinion the plate for the 300 should come with the trans. Id tell him Id take everything for the $450. Then all you need is the driveshafts.

I dont see that plate being worth that much. It comes with every other T-176 out there. :wtf: If its going to be a deal breaker and everything is in good shape Id give him $50 for it.

The T-176 is the best trans they put behind the 80s Cjs. Ive had a few and like them. Their definately stronger than the T-4 / T-5 .
:agree:It sounds like to me that the guy is trying to squeeze a little more money out of the trans.

Wll in my opinion the plate for the 300 should come with the trans.
Damn right! If he removes that plate what would you mount the transmission on?
He takes off a crucial part of the transmission and says "Now if you want to use this transmission you'll have to pay me an extra $125). If you don't get that adapter you will have to go to a junk yard and they won't take that adapter off a transmission to sell it to you.
Without that adapter you couldn't use the transmission in a 2WD drive vehicle. The output shaft of the tranny is only to mate up to a transfer case.
BTW here is the T-176 with the adapter on the rear
t176s.jpg
Click here for more info on the T-176 Transmission: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/#post97093

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom