T-18 question

T-18 question

cj5 guy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 Cj-5 amc 304 T-150 with dana 20 transfer case,
03 Mustang Mach1 dd
For many reasons I want to swap my T-150 for a T-18 . So now my questions follow. I found a T-18 from a J-series truck for a good price. so are all jeep t-18s the same? i would assume yes since they were all matted to AMC V-8's or AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's in this case it was to a AMC 304 or 360. any help info would be great! and any suggestions on the swap process are welcome i can always use help and free stuff especially advice!

Last edited:
Generally the input shaft is longer on a truck. You will probably need to change to a shorter one. There were rare occurrences where that was not necessary.

From Novak -->> The Borg-Warner T18 & T19 Transmissions - Novak Conversions

As a general rule, all FSJ T-18 's featured varying lengths of input shafts - all too long for installation into short wheelbased Jeeps. These were fitted with a variety of factory adapters and deeper bellhousings to accomodate the deeper bulkheads of these larger Jeeps. We get many calls from individuals attempting to adapt these versions into CJ Jeeps - many of them being sold under the unscrupulous pretense that they are inexpensive and direct replacements. Individuals get caught in often fruitless salvage searches for the rarest of the Jeep T-18 input shafts and bearing retainers in an attempt to make the project succeed. As a solution for wide ratio (6.32:1 first gear) Jeep T-18 's, we offer a new input shaft and retainer assembly, kit #T-18 -ISK. There is currently no solution for the narrow ratio (4.02:1) Jeep T-18 's.

The T-18 out of a V8 truck has a longer input shaft than the one used in a CJ. I just completed the short shaft conversion on a T-18 I got out of a "76 J20 pickup that had a V8. PartsMike.com has the kit for $199.00 and directions as to how to make the swap. The T-18 is a monster to work on but I was able to complete it myself. Jeep made two T18s for the CJ. One with close ratio, 4:1 first gear, and a wide ratio, 6.32:1 first gear. If you are making the swap, make sure you get the granny low to make it worthwhile. The T-18 is taller and longer than the T-150 so you will have to move the Transmission /skid plate mount back, shorten the rear drive shaft and lengthen the front drive shaft. The shifter will be a couple of inches farther back and you may have the lengthen the linkage to the Transfer Case . The bell housing should work but the clutch assembly had to be changed for my swap. Also, PartsMike will give you a stud bolt that will enable the fork to work properly. You have to ask for it though. Work has been keeping me from giving the project the time I would like so I am still in the middle of the swap out. The T-18 I got had a Dana 20 with adapter plate. Depending on your Transfer Case you may need an adapter plate also. I am about $600 into the project and expect it to run about $300 more before I am done. For me it will be worthwhile. With the swap, in high range my first gear will be lower than my current Low Low ratio. Double that in low range and I will be crawling over the rocks I am now bouncing around on. It will be easier on the jeep and me and much safer. If you go this route, I will be happy to give you any tips that I have found to make it go smoother. I know others in this forum have made the swap and will pick up on anything I have missed. This is my first CJ so I am still a rookie.

Tommy

Great site by the way. And I read that before i posted the thread but still wasnt sure. and i was wrong the Tranny came from a Cherokee. So i would assume that i would have to have to do the short shaft conversion then. And i want the granny gear thats the main reason of the swap. And I have a Dana 20 t-fer case shouldnt be too hard.

Tommy what clutch did you swap too? my T-150 is dieing im sure i could rebuild it and drive her for a year or 2 but would rather do the swap.

I went with a 10-1/2" clutch for a 1-1/16" diameter by ten spline shaft. The T-18 shaft is larger in diameter than the one on the T-15 I am swapping out. I'm not sure what the diameter of your T-150 is. When you order the short shaft kit, if you need it, they will let you know if you need a clutch assembly also. Don't assume you need the Short Shaft. Going from a V8 to a V8 you may already have the right setup. You will know right off though. The long shaft is over 11"s and the short shaft is just over 7"s. The adapter plate from the T-18 to the Dana 20 is no problem to put on but can be fairly expensive. Mine came with it. I got the T-18 , adapter plate and Dana 20 for $275. Short Shaft kit and clutch assembly was $399.

Tommy

I got the T-18 , adapter plate and Dana 20 for $275. Short Shaft kit and clutch assembly was $399.

Tommy

:eek: my dad just got his T-18 from a guy we know completely rebuilt for 400 from a cj... gonna give that guy a call i know he has another just gotta find out how much to ship.

Note: a Jeep T-18 will bolt up to a 1980 TC 146 Scout Dana 300 ,you need the manual bull gear.

Theres one out there on Ebay right now $500

Depending on the year, jeep made the T-18 with a close ratio,4:1, and a wide ratio,6.32:1, first gear. Make sure you get the one you want. The T-18 I got is a jeep T-18 out of a 1976 pickup. They also put one in the CJs but a lot of those were the close ratio T18s.

Tommy

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom