T-18 Transmission

T-18 Transmission

boomer

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2 Dodge Diesel, 81 CJ 7, 4 Polaris ATV's
When I bought my jeep it had a SR4 tranny in it and it wouldn't stay in 2nd gear. Not knowing much about the SR4 I spent the money to have it rebuilt. That turned into a major project that took the shop 5 trys and cost me major bucks.
Just before the last try I decided that I should have a backup plan so I found a T-18 and had it on standby. I drove the SR4 about 500 miles then decided that I would always be leary of the SR4 so I had the T-18 installed. At first I wasn't sure that I liked the gear spacing on the 18, however as time goes on I've found that this tranny is super I think that this change is one of the best things that I have ever made to my Jeep....
Just needed to put my 2cents in.

I could not live without mine:D. Good choice:chug:.

I had the same feeling when i swapped out my T-5 for the T-18 ....felt like I was driving an old farm truck for a while. Once i got used to it however I realized what a huge benefit it was offroad...in strength alone.

i had an ole CJ5 with a T-18 and it was comical to play with driving over stuff and playing in fields in 1st but if i was driving on the road i usually started out in 2nd. i dont miss the jeep but i do miss the T-18 . i should have kept it for my CJ7 !!!!

Swapped the T-5 for a T-18 last year in my '81 CJ5 . Couldn't think of a better upgrade. Like Kickit, I start in second around town. The super low gear and strength of Transmission exudes confidence when crawling over rocks or any where else off road.

Tommy

I currently have 3 Jeeps: 1 with a T-98 the father of the T-18 .
1 Jeep with a true T-18 & 1 Jeep with the T-19, which is basically a T-18 with a Syncro 1st gear. I love them all.
Virtually bulletproof & more gear ratio spread than your average 5-speed to boot!:chug:

My front driveline will rub on the bottom of the starter housing when my right tire is elevated, guess it's time for more lift. Did any of you have that problem???

My front driveline will rub on the bottom of the starter housing when my right tire is elevated, guess it's time for more lift. Did any of you have that problem???
LongHorn, does your T19 have the same ratio in granny?

Mine clears just fine. Are you using the standard skinny tube front shaft?

Boomer, which T-18 did you get? Is it a stock CJ T-18 with 6.32-1 granny low, or is it an adapted Ford truck tranny?

My shortest Jeep has 4" lift & the tallest has 10"-12" of lift, so rubbing was not a problem. ;)

Mine clears just fine. Are you using the standard skinny tube front shaft?
Diver, I have the skinny tube. My Transmission is a Ford with an adapter bell housing from Advanced, just barely touches and I think that just a scootch more lift or a dab of grinding will cure the problem.

I've never tried the A/A bellhousing.
I've always used the stock T-176 bellhousing.

Diver, I have the skinny tube. My Transmission is a Ford with an adapter bell housing from Advanced, just barely touches and I think that just a scootch more lift or a dab of grinding will cure the problem.
Mine is a stock Jeep CJ5 T-18 mated to a Dana 20 . I wonder if the adapted ford tranny makes the Transfer Case sit back further, or has it clocked a little different?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom