T150 Rebuild

T150 Rebuild

mfikes

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ-5, 258
Hello all,

I hit the wall early with this one. Using FSM to rebuild my T-150 . Everything is great until I need to remove the clutch shaft. It calls for a bearing remover tool J-6654-01. Never seen one - Can't find one. And I'm afraid to pull te bearing because it says to remove shaft, front bearing and 2-3 synch blocking ring as a unit.

Has anyone else run into this? What to do:confused:

Also, please let me know any other tricks I'll need to overcome the 'obsolete tools' issue. I already got the dal-rod = arbor tool one.

Check out that thread and let me know what stage your at by looking at the pic's.
I can help ya out. I had no bearing removal tool. And rebuilt mine sitting on the
garage floor.

Welcome to the site, BTW!

Welcome!
Once you remove the lock ring you can fit a chisel into the grove and use it (along with a hammer) as a lever to pry the bearing out of the case.
The whole thing will come out as a unit.
The photo is from the CJ Rebuilders Manual, great book tons of good info.

Last edited:
Your talking about the shaft and bearing at the top left in this picture.
If so what I did was removed the big ring forget the name, the one on the same towel as the clutch shaft, this allowed all the gears to be free and move inside the case, I used this to slide back and forth like a slide hammer to get the bearing to ease out. Once out a local Transmission shop can press the bearing off and on. I replaced my clutch shaft with a new one and just pressed the bearing myself.

dsc04937.jpg

Welcome!
Once you remove the lock ring you can fit a chisel into the grove and use it (along with a hammer) as a lever to pry the bearing out of the case.
The whole thing will come out as a unit.
The photo is from the CJ Rebuilders Manual, great book tons of good info.

Thanks Jasper. I appreciate the reference too. Looks like I need to get the Rebuilders Manual.

I looked for that Novak page (I know I've seen it before) but couldn't find it.

I talked to someone at quadtratec who told me to modify a 4" bearing splitter by using two long bolts or threaded rod. Clamp the splitter in the groove and use a puller to extract the assembly. It looks like that would work. If not I'll try the hammer and chisel approach. Can't get to it until Sunday, but i'll take pics and report back.

I did the hammer and chisel and it came out almost without effort. It is not as tight as say, a ball joint.
You could always hit it with BP Blaster first as well.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom